timoto
timoto, Technician
Experience:  40+ years experience, Honda silver level tech., Honda power equipment tech
8313095

I have a Kawasaki ga 1000 generator that runs good for a minute

I have a Kawasaki ga 1000 generator that runs good for a minute or so than will only run with full choke. Carburator has been cleaned, base gaskets have been changed and seems to get steady fuel supply. Have also checked vented gas cap.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  timoto replied 5 years ago.

timoto :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you,

timoto :

I noticed your question went unanswered for quite some time. I don't normally work on kawasaki generators but I do work on a lot of honda generators so perhaps I can help. I think your carburetor may not be clean enough. The proper way to clean a carburetor is to totally disassemble it, soak in a commercial grade of carburetor cleaner, rinse, blow dry, check all passages in the body for flow restriction, probe all jets with the correct size wire drill. Here is a link to a parts diagram for that model:

timoto :

The main jet is #92063/A/B. The pilot jet is #92064. These jets must be probed with a wire drill to be sure they are clear. The main jet can be probed with a matching size welding tip cleaner. The pilot jet has a very tiny hole and what I use is a single wire strand from a stiff wire brush brissle. Here is a link to a honda generator that shows the correct procedure to probe the main and pilot jets.

timoto :

Double check both of these jets as described and if you still have a problem let me know by replying back to this question.

Customer:

I checked the jets as you suggested. I used small hand drills to check the orfices. And sprayed carb cleaner though the circuits in the carb body. Put the carb back on and have the same thing no change that I can tell.

timoto :

The next step would be to eliminate any possibility of a fuel flow problem. In the shop we have a remote fuel tank that we use. You can rig up a hose to the carb and a small funnel to feed fuel directly to the carb long enogh to run it to determine if the problem is still there.

timoto :

The parts diagram for that model shows a drain screw on the bottom of the float bowl. Is there also a nipple on the bottom that you could attach a hose to?

Customer:

I understand what you're saying. I have gotten very busy at work and haven't had time to set up an IV. I don't want to drag this out this long but I just haven't got back to it yet. And yes it has the nipple on the bottom of the float bowl.

timoto :

You can also check for fuel flow to the carb by attaching a clear piece of hose to the nipple and vip tie the open end somewhere above the carb. Open the drain screw and start the engine. The fule level should remain constant just a couple of millimeters below the gasket surface of the float bowl.

timoto :

If the fuel flow is good then it could be a clogged spark arrestor or muffler. Try removing the end cap and spark arrestor and run the engine. If the problem still occurs try removing the entire muffler assembly.

Customer:

Great idea with the clear tubing I hadn't thought of that. The exhaust seems to constant but I haven't removed the end cap. I hope to have some time for it this weekend. THANKS

Customer:

Well I got the fuel issue resolved. The generator run for four hours under a load. Now it appears to have lost fire to the spark plug. Thanks for the help your suggestions led me to the problem.