Jeff Policky
Jeff Policky, Technician
Experience:  Yamaha and Honda generator repair certified

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Craftsman riding mower engine oil

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratton Craftsman riding mower engine oil level rose on dip stick. I drained some oil from the engine and the oil is very thin and smells like gasoline. What may I attribute this problem to?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jeff Policky replied 5 years ago.
fuel is coming out of the carb and flowing into lower end of the motor. most likely the float needle is stuck or dirty and not shutting off the fuel flowing into the float bowl. a carb clean with Yamaha carb dip would be a good Idea.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Do I put the carb cleen in the fuel or directly into the carburator?

If this float needle remains stuck, are there instructions online that will list the procedure to access or replace the needle that you know of?

Thanks for your help

The Yamaha Carb cleaner is a dip. the carb should be disassembled and then put in the dip. the float needle is in the float bowl the float bowl cover will come off with the removal of the drain bolt on the bottom of the carb. then the pin that holds the float in place will come out along with the needle.