Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a Troybilt Tiller, TH1002, serial # XXXXX with a Briggs

I have a Troybilt Tiller, TH1002, serial # XXXXX with a Briggs andf Stratton engine, model # XXXXX type 0150-01, code 80070312. Runs great but will no longer go in reverse. There appears to be a spring with bolt adjustment, but I have no parts book or manuel. Is there an adjustment? How do I do it? And can I get a parts list and diagrams? Thanks
Dave Parsons
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

HI

Ranwell1 :

Do not adjust this bolt adjustemet. It is usually not the problem and if you adjust it you may never get it adjusted correctly.

Ranwell1 :

The problem is usually the reverse disc that is worn out.

Ranwell1 :

Replace the reverse disck

Ranwell1 :

240-398 is the stens aftermarket number.

Ranwell1 :

240-398Drive Disc
TROY BILT
2111
OD: 3 3/4"
Reversing disc
Made by an OEM supplier
1

he Troy-bilt number is XXXXX

Ranwell1 :

these part numbers are assuming that the drive disc lining is a rubber drive disk. the much older units used a Fibre drive disc of a different part number.

Ranwell1 :

Sorry, the Correct Troy-Bilt part number is XXXXX

Customer:

Do I need a pulley puller to get it off? There is no room there, does the entire engine need to be removed? Is there an available manual and parts list and diagram? Thanks

Customer:

Hi, I am still waiting for a response on how to take it off or get a repair manual.

Customer:

Thanks

Ranwell1 :

The drive disc is held on with one bolt. then it should come off easily or if not then just a few light taps with a hammer should get it loose.

Ranwell1 :

Here is a parts manual Go to page 20 and you will see the reverse disc. http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Troy_Bilt_Troy_Built_Service_Repair_Manuals/Troy_Bilt_Horse_Master_Parts_Catalog.pdf

Ranwell1 :

There are two large pins that hold the engine onto the frame. there is a bolt in the side of each of these. usually you only have to take one pin out by loosening that one bolt on the side. then take a punch and punch the large pin through the botton to remove it. Then the engine will rotate on the other pin so you can get to the reverse disc. Many times you have to work the belt off before the engine will rotate far enough to get to the reverse disc.

Ranwell1 :

One you are that far, then you should be able to remove the bolt that is holding the reverse disc in place and then tap it off. Replace the disc and you should be done. Then put it back to gether. It is ALWAYs a very good idea to replace the blet while you have it off.

Customer:

Great! Thanks for your help.