James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

I have a Toro LX 500 riding lawnmower. When I started it today

I have a Toro LX 500 riding lawnmower. When I started it today a light on the dash was flashing -- it said C6 oil -- I don't know what that means. I do not have an owner's manual. Can you help?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

How old is your mower, how many hours does it have on it?

James W :

if you can provide me with the actualo model number something like 30040, I should be able to tell you how to get a manual

James W :

the number I need is the model number of the mower not of the engine and also need the serial number such as(NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

James W :

Here's the link to downloadable manuals for your XL500.
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
You have either model # XXXXX or # XXXXX Put either of those model numbers in and select "riding mower" for product type.

Customer:

The mower is a 2006 it has about 1000 hours. The model #13AP60RP744 Serial #1c146BA0300

James W :

OK

James W :

I think you have a dirty low oil sensor

James W :

Unplug it, blow it and the plug off to remove all moisture, clean and plug it back in. If it still flashes unplug it at the light and do the same thing.

James W :

model number is XXXXX but if the unit is a 2006 model, then the serial number would start with a 26

James W :

here is a better link to load the owners manual from

Customer:

I tried the link to get the manual and it said it could not load the page -- error message -- tried again same message. My husband is going out to the garage to check the Serial # XXXXX Also I tried to get a free manual earlier today and the file said it was too large to download to my computer. I couldn't get it to download in a pdf format.

James W :

forget the number

James W :

I am mistaken as this unit is an exception...

James W :

All toro manufactured units follow the same format for serial numbers

James W :

but your units is one of the units toro did not manufacture, rather it is made by MTD

James W :

Did you try the NEW link I gave you?

Customer:

Yes, I did -- it gave me the same error message -- Server not found.

James W :

i will try again... I just did it and it worked

James W :

in fact, there is a complete service manual at the site

Customer:

I tried the latest one you gave me and it gave me the same error message -- server not found.

James W :

let me try it in a different browser

Customer:

Could you please tell us where the low oil sensor is located?

James W :

I just tried the link in a totally different browser, and it worked correctly

James W :

OK, I think that this model does not have a low oil sensor

James W :

The Indicator Monitor will also remind the operator of

maintenance intervals for changing the engine oil. The

LCD will alternately flash the recorded hours, “CHG”

and “OIL” for five minutes, after every 50 hours of

recorded operation elapse. The maintenance interval

lasts for two hours (from 50-52, 100-102, 150-152,

etc.). The LCD will also flash as described above for

five minutes every time the tractor’s engine has been

started during this maintenance interval. Before the

interval expires, change the crankcase oil level as

instructed in the

MAINTENANCE

section of this manual.

James W :

I think it says CHG OIL rather than CH6

James W :

I believe it is a preprogrammed reminder to change your oil

James W :

We do not sell very many of these toros because frankly, they are not toros, but MTD units and we do not like them at our shop

James W :

I am sorry I took so long to get the answer

James W :

Having said that, if you want your engine to last longer change the oil and oil filter and air filter at least three times this often

James W :

To load the owners manuals and service manuals

James W :

go to toro.com

James W :

then down near the bottom, there will be a link for owners manuals

James W :

then choose homeowners

James W :

and then you should be able to put your model number in

James W :

then choose the manual you wish to load

James W :

I will be available for additional follow-up questions. If my answers have not been acceptable, please let me know what more I can do. I will be notified via email of your responses even after you Hit ACCEPT.

Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.
I have converted the question to Q&A Mode rather than chat. I will be available for additional follow-up questions. If my answers have not been acceptable, please let me know what more I can do. I will be notified via email of your responses even after you Hit ACCEPT.
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.

LCD will alternately flash the recorded hours, "CHG"

and "OIL" for five minutes, after every 50 hours of

five minutes every time the tractor's engine has been

instructed in the