Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a Scotts Lawn Tractor (L2048) with a Briggs & Stratton

I have a Scott's Lawn Tractor (L2048) with a Briggs & Stratton Intek that is bogging down and stalling when I engage the blades. I thought it may be the PTO switch (or another safety switch), but I have disconnected the seat switch (which failed) and the PTO seems to tests fine.

I rebuilt the carb and gave the mower a tune-up (new plugs, filters, etc.) and noticed a sharp improvement in power and now the mower doesn't quit, but it just doesn't seem to reach full power when the throttle is in the full position.

Sometimes, the engine will oscillate when at full power with the blades engaged.

Any suggestions?

There are a few things that can cause this.

First is the if you did not use a carburetor rebuild kit, the you may have to do it again.

You also can use what we call "Mechanic in a bottle" and it may help you considerably.

http://www.b3cfuelsolutions.com/html/mib.html

Now we have to look at the valves. If this is an overhead valve engine, the valves must be adjusted at least every two years. there should be a clearance of between .004" and .005" between the rocker arms and the valve stems when the valves are completely closed.

Check the engine oil and make sure that it is not LOW. If the oil was EVER low, you may have an engine that is going bad. It may even be starting to lock up.

If the engine is not the problem, you may have other issues with the tractor.

Check all of the idler pulleys. The bearings must spin without making ANY noise when the belt is NOT touching them, You may have to take the belt off to spin them

Also The bearings in the mower deck spindles must spin freely without making any noise. Spin them by hand with the belt NOT on and listen for noise. If there is noise or if it does not spin freely, then the bearings must be replaced.

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks