Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

I have a 18 year old Kohler engine in a Bobcat skidsteer loader.

Customer Question

I have a 18 year old Kohler engine in a Bobcat skidsteer loader. It has been, for the most
part, bullet proof. Recently it will not accept fuel. Being a gasoline engine there is only three
avenues that I know of in route to the combustion chamber that will allow this machine to
run. I have bypassed the electric solenoid, the fuel filter, and that only leaves the fuel pump
which is obviously not functioning. The one-line diagram that I was able to locate does not
tell me where in the fuel circuit the fuel pump is located. Do i need to pull the engine and
access this internally or is the fuel pump an external device? Can I reach without removing
the engine and going into the crank case?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! The fuel pump should be the component downstream of the carburetor. It will be external, either powered by the camshaft, or by a hose from the crankcase. It would help if you could find the engine numbers on the flywheel cover, usually around the spark plug area. You can install an electric, low pressure pump after the fuel filter and go direct to the carburetor, to fuel the engine.

JACUSTOMER-id4uaw96- :

Why would I install an electric fuel pump on an engine that already has a fuel pump?

curtis b :

Only if you can't make it work.