Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

Tansmission belt on Scag Tiger Cub

I'm replacing the tansmission belt on my Scag Tiger Cub and am frustrated becasue I can't figure out how to reinstall the Clutch Stop Assembly and teh bracket that attaches to to housing. Is there something in a tachnical manual that would show how these fit together? I't slmost like I'm missing a part.

I think what I need is a detailed picture/diagram of how everything fits together. The owner's manual doesn't even show all of teh parts, and some are not even the same shape of teh parts on my mower. The Scag website says there are no technical manuals available, so I'm stuck.

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,can you supply the model and serial numbers?

Customer:

I don't know what the serial number is. I looked all over and can't find it anywhere on the tractor. All I know is that it's an STC. I bught it in 2007

Customer:

The engine is a Kohler Command Pro20, if that helps.

Vince O. :

Have you looked under the seat?

Vince O. :

It would start as STC61V

Customer:

Yes, there's a big label there with instructions on dumping the pressure, but I didn't notice the serial number.

Vince O. :

What size deck so I can get an idea of the model.

Customer:

Maybe I cold call th eplace where I bught it to see if they have a record of teh sale and serial number. My problem now is that I'm out of town and won't be back to the house where the tractor is until Firday night. It's a 48" deck

Vince O. :

I'll try to find something for you in the meantime.

Customer:

Thanks

Vince O. :

I found a diagram in a manual.look at parts 38,39,40 and 41 and the way they are assembled.does this look like your setup? clutch

Vince O. :
Download Manual This is for a STC48A-20CV
Customer:

Yes, 38, 39,and 40 are what I have. My part 38 though is different. It has "wings" extending from both sides. Part 41 was not included in my assembly. I have a smilar operators manual, identified as Part03162.

Customer:

I called the place where I bought the Scag. The Model is STC48A19KO and serial number is XXXXX

Vince O. :

The parts breakdown for your serial number range shows the same thing Here is a picture of the clutch.See if it's like yours.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Yes, and the side shown is the underside when it is installed to the motor. I see that the clutch stop assembly attaches right to the clutch and not to the bracket where I was trying to attach it. Do I need to remove the clutch again to install the clutch stop assembly? Then, once I get the clutch reinstalled, what do you recommend for getting the belts installed on the pulleys? I've been successful with the transmission belt by releasing the tensioner spring, but the cutter deck belt is a pretty tight fit and I'm having touble reengaging the tensioner spring hooks once I have the belt threaded with the spring unhooked.

Vince O. :

Once the belt is on line up the bolt hole to connect the stop and wire.

Customer:

OK, so I install the stop before I put the clutch back on. Can you help me with the belt install question? I won't be able to take these steps until next weekend when I'm back home.

Vince O. :

If the stop will prevent you from installing the belt leave it off until belt is on.reinstall the spring by tying a piece of rope into a loop and slip around spring end and pull it into position.Once things are connected and routed properly connect the stop and wiring

Customer:

Hi Vince, I'm back at the house and have used the photo that you sent to install the clutch stop assembly. I installed the bracket with the 90 degree wings on either side so that the rubber of the clutch stop fits neatly between the two wings. Now the clutch can just rotate about 1/4 inch before the rubber hits one of the wings and stops...so very little side to side movement. Is this right? I started the mower and tried to move forward, but it's very mushy and won't engage...won't move at all. I can push the mower without the engine on, so the transmission isn't engaged. Could the belt be too tight because it's new? Aslo, I found out that teh dealer gave me the wrong serial number. The model is SMTC - 48A and serial is A5406503.

Vince O. :

The clutch is installed correct.

Vince O. :

Is the drive belt installed correctly? drive belt

Vince O. :

The link to the manual above is also the correct manual for your SMTC-48A.

Customer:

OK, I checked everything again, added some transmission oil, and now it drives perfectly. BUT now the blades won't engage, like the electrical connection is dead because there's no click or anything, and of course the belt doesn't turn. I'm pretty sure I connected the wire to the clutch correctly. Is that wire for engaging the blades?

Vince O. :

yes,double check the connection and check for a fuse and refer to the manual .It can help you better than I can for now.

Customer:

Thanks Vince. I just finished mowing an acre and it's running and mowing perfectly now. You were a big help, especially with the picture of how the assembly fits onto the clutch. Next time, I'll take a picture before I start pulling off random parts!

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers