Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

How do I replace starter rope on spring assist Troy Bilt TB25ET

How do I replace starter rope on spring assist Troy Bilt TB25ET trimmer?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 5 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,There is a torx head screw inside the clutch drum that needs to be unscrewed. Remove the spark plug, stuff some starter rope in the cylinder (this acts as a piston stop), unscrew the torx screw using a T-20 driver, the drum, will now come off. With a large enough water-pump-type pliers remove the clutch. Your shroud will now come off and you can get to the starter pulley.When removing pulley be careful not to disturb spring and have it pop out and take note of rope direction.If more tension is needed you pull the rope up where there is a little cutout in the pulley and give it a wind.

I ended up figuring it out 15 mins after the question was submitted. It used a T-15 torx driver. Also, please be clear that the clutch has to be unscrewed. Turns out the pulley and plastic shroud was broken and I had to order the whole assembly.

Vince O. :

I'll go ahead and accept so you get paid for your answer. Appreciate your effort.