Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert

how do I remove a pto clutch on a cub cadet garden tractor

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Use an electric impacr for removing tires to loosen the bolt holding the clutch to the crankshaft, then it should be loose enough to tap off. Of course you will need the deck out of the way and have good clearance to work. The clutch is keyed to the crankshaft and will be tight. Are you removing it to replace it?

curtis b :

impact wrench

Customer :

yes to replace

curtis b :

ok, do you have access to impact?

Customer :

yes

curtis b :

How can I help?

Customer :

do I need to hold the clutch to remove the bolt

curtis b :

With the impact you should hold it, but it won't take much to loosen the bolt.

curtis b :

Standard right hand thread.

Customer :

you spoke of a key how do I remove the clutch after the bolt is out

curtis b :

Just tap on it with a hammer.

Customer :

just so I under stand once I tap on it the whole clutch assembly will come off?

curtis b :

If it turns out that it doesn't want to come off, you might have to rig up a puller to go around the pulley to use more force.

curtis b :

Yes, it is all one piece.

Customer :

what are the three bolts I can see behind this pulley

curtis b :

The are for adjusting the distance between the armature and the magnet.

Customer :

what would I use to rig a puller

curtis b :

I gather you do not have the new one yet.

Customer :

no sir

curtis b :

Three jawed puller , with individual legs to hook behind the pulley portion.

Customer :

can I ask you when I engage the pto the amp light comes on and it will blow the fuse

curtis b :

Have you checked the wires going to the pto clutch and the connections?

Customer :

yes they look alright

curtis b :

Many times the wires get damaged and need replacing.

curtis b :

20 amp fuse?

Customer :

yes it is

curtis b :

Have you unplugged the clutch and tried the switch?

Customer :

no but that sounds like a good idea if the amp light does not come on what does that tell me

curtis b :

You can test the clutch with two jumpwr wires direct from the battery to the two wires going to it.Just touch them to the clutch and see if the clutch will engage and not just short out the wires.

curtis b :

The amp light coming on says the charging system is not charging when the switch is thrown.

Customer :

what if it does engage

curtis b :

The clutch maybe good.

Customer :

ok curtis I need to try some things will this end our chat

curtis b :

Get back when you can. Thanks.

Customer :

will I be charged again if I have more questions

curtis b :

No, just don't Accept. Just come back with password XXX log in. all one price!

Customer :

psfdiebx-;

Customer :

curtis I tryed the wire from the battery and the clutch just clicked it did not move

curtis b :

All it does is click. The engine drives it after it engages he magnet.

curtis b :

Did it lock up? That is what it should do, lock the pulley to the crankshaft.

Customer :

So your saying the engine needs to be running before the test

curtis b :

No, you can check it with engine off, much safer.

Customer :

tell me exactly how to do the test please

curtis b :

When it clicks, it should be engaging the pulley to lock the assembly so the pulley will turn with the engine instead of freewheeling.

curtis b :

Usually if it clicks it is good!

Customer :

so do you think the pulley is working ok?

curtis b :

Yes.

Customer :

so you think we are back to the wires

curtis b :

You can start engine and use the jumpers to engage it . Just be careful.

Customer :

ok I will get back to you thank you

curtis b :

Are you jumping it at the switch wires?

Customer :

no I jumped it off the battery

curtis b :

ok, I was thinking the other end. I knew you were using the battery.

Customer :

ok I will give it a try

curtis b :

ok

Customer :

curtis I tried the clutch with the engine running and it seems it will not turn it just pulls the engine down

Customer :

curtis where are you are you still online

curtis b :

I was taking bath. If engine pulls down, clutch bearing could be bad, either way, it seems the clutch is not working as it should.

curtis b :

I'm back, it sounds like the clutch is indeed bad and will need to be replaced.

Customer :

curtis which way does the bolt turn when taking it off

Customer :

would it be clockwise or counterclock wise

curtis b :

Standard thread bolt. Right to tighten , left to loosen.