Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 6 year old cub gt2554 & am having pto problems it

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old cub gt2554 & am having pto problems it won't disengage the blades, any sugggestions on how to troubleshoot this? thanks Tim D
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! This appears to be the standard electric pto clutch.?? If the clutch does not disengage when power is cut to the clutch, the bearing in the clutch is froze up and the clutch will not freespin when disengaged. With the unit off and the switch off, can the pulley of the clutch be turned freely by hand? It should spin without any connection to the engine, if to turn it , the engine turns, the bearing is bad. And the clutch assembly will have to be changed.

JACUSTOMER-8g7nz3hf- :

pulley does not move w/ everything disengaged, no chance it's electrical switch or relay or can I trouble shot that before dropping 4 hundo on a clutch assy? can they be rebuilt or not worth it? thanks

curtis b :

Unhook the two wires going to it, if it is still locked, it is bad. Not repairable. You can find cheaper ones on the internet, or maybe a good used one. I find many of my parts on Ebay.

curtis b :
717-04180 Clutch Assy, PTO Her is the Cub Cadet number.

JACUSTOMER-8g7nz3hf- :

thanks for your help

curtis b :

New number is 917-04180. Here is one on Ebay, there are others.