James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years

How does one install a Cub Cadet LT1050 Drive Belt

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 5 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

Here is a complete Service manual that you can download. It has full instructions telling you step by step exactly what you are trying to do to your 1000 - 1500 Series Cub Cadet Tractor with full color photos.

James W :

Also, it is important to always try to determine exactly why a belt has worn out, broken, or come off

James W :

90% of the time, the belts never have a chance to wear out and die a natural death on these units

James W :

In fact, the Cub cadets like this are known for having such problems repeatedly.

James W :

It would not be totally acurate to call this a "Design flaw".

Cub cadet WAS a quality brand of equipment before MTD bought them out

and MTD, to their credit, continued that great quality for about 5 years.

But that has been 20+ years.

Bolens, Troy-bilt, Yardman, Yard-power, White Outdoor, are all Formerly quality brand names that were not able to compete with the cheap mowers made by Murray, AMF, Roper, and MTD

So all of those brands went out of business

So then the NAMES Bolens, Troy-bilt, Yardman, Yard-power, White Outdoor, and of course Cub Cadet were purchased by MTD

MTD is now putting those Names on their cheaply made equipment

The public is being deceived into thinking they are buying quality merchandise just because of the name

You can read more of this on Wikipedia

So back to the problem at hand

The Problem is poorly designed equipment overall made of average quality materials

the belt guards will slip

the angles of the belt path are sharper than they should be

The mower will work better if adjusted to a Higher cutting height

ALSO, you cannot WASH this unit at all with water

The bearings are sealed against dirt, but they are not sealed against water

so the water will actually be sucked into the bearings (especially if warm) and mix with the grease

this will cause the bearings to wear much prematurely

If the bearings in the pulleys fail at all, then the pulley will slip against the belt and cause belt wear but also will throw the belt off if it freezes when it heats up

So check all the pulleys to make sure that they spin without ANY noise at all or vibrations

A good bearing in a pulley will spin smoothly and make no noise and you will not even feel it spin much

If the belt ever comes off, you cannot reuse it

it must be replaced on one of these

The back of the belt usually gets damaged and it will not stay on afterwards

The deck design is not good

the way it is hung combined with the subpar quality in the materials make it susceptible to warping or bending in the middle

if the deck bends, then the pulleys will never line up perfectly

You cannot bend the deck back because it will weaken the deck further and it will bend even more easily

Also, the materials and design around the spindles on the deck is not good and if you hit anything with a blade, the deck will bend and the spindle will now set at an angle

This misalignment of the pulleys will again cause belts to jump

Look hard at the belt path. The belt cannot twist then twist back and stay on

The belt or a pulley cannot touch anything at all period

Look for a spring that may have come off or has weakened

and may not be applying enough tension

James W :

The same info applies to both the drive belts and mower belts... You can save yourslef a bit of money by doing a tiny bit of examination and research before just slapping a new belt on

Expert:  James W replied 5 years ago.
I have converted the question to Q&A Mode rather than chat. I will be available for additional follow-up questions. If my answers have not been acceptable, please let me know what more I can do. I will be notified via email of your responses even after you Hit ACCEPT.