J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

How do you remove pulley for drive belt on Cub Cadet SLT 1

How do you remove pulley for drive belt on Cub Cadet SLT 1550? I'm not willing to remove engine bolts and elevate pulley as suggested in one forum.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Justt Answer,

If you have alreadyy removed the bolt and tried using a puller and it is bending the lips of the pulley then you have 2 choices. You can either lift the engine to get the belt on or you can cut the old pulley off of the shaft and then buy a new pulley and put on it. I have had to cut several of them off. I always use antiseize when I put them back on.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was hoping for a more DIY friendly option. I don't want to cut the pulley off, I might as well let the dealer do it for his $100 for that much work and another $50 pulley. The service manual acted like the pulley would just fall off or just stated it's the technicians option to remove it.

If I raise the engine, what process do you recommend? I currently have the front elevated with a floor jack and jack stands as backup. I can easily loosen the four engine mounting bolts, but do want the engine to slip and never be able to realign it and have a bigger problem than I started.
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.
The best way to do it is to remove any of the jacks and stand from under the engine. You will then remove the 4 mounting bolts. Use a rope hoist and a chain. There are a couple of lifting hooks that you can lift it with. Use the hoist and lift the engine far enough so that you can install the belt and then drop it back down. The holes will still line up. I always set the parking brake to take some tension off of the belt. As for the pulley falling off, they normally do when new, but after a few years they rust and will not slide off. I always put antiseize on the shaft when I put them back on to save from future problems.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.