Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.
The first thing you need to do is to do a procedure called 'flashing the field'.
1. Remove the spark plug wire.
2. Obtain an old extension cord that you can cut one end off, or an old power cord from an appliance (you will need the male end left on the cord).
3. Note how on the receptacle, one slot is longer than the other. This longer slot is the negative slot. It is critical that you get it hooked up correctly.
4. Determine which wire of the cord will go to the negative slot.
5. Connect the negative wire to the negative terminal of a 12V battery.
6. Connect the positive wire to the positive terminal of the battery.
7. Plug the cord into the receptacle and pull the starter cord 6-8 times.
8. Immediately unplug the cord. DO NOT LEAVE THE CORD PLUGGED IN FOR MORE THAN 6 OR 8 SECONDS.
9. Disconnect the wires from the battery.
10. Reconnect the spark plug wire and see if the set is now producing electricity.
If it is not, please let me know and we can troubleshoot further.
I would also need the item number of the genset.