Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

My MTD lawn tractor wont start. New battery, fully charged-but

My MTD lawn tractor won't start. New battery, fully charged-but nothing from the starter motor. Here's the model no. 136Q695G118 and the serial no. 1B016B90095. I jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver blade and the starter motor spun just right. Is the solenoid my only problem? It's an old machine and I don't want to put a whole lot more money into it. It's run like a champ all these years. I'm retired on a fixed income so I don't have the cash to buy a new machine. Your suggestions welcome!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Most likely the solenoid is your problem. The only test that you need to do to make sure is to test the voltage at the small wire going into the solenoid from the ignition switch. When the key is turned to start you need 12 volts coming from the ignition switch to charge the solenoid and put voltage to the starter

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok, I know the small wire you're refering to. So if I put a voltage meter + feed on the small wire and the - on a good ground and turn the key to start I should get 12 volts, right? If I don't see any current, what's next?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Correct. If you do not have voltage at this wire then something is causing the ignition switch not to work properly. I would start by checking the safety switches. There should be one in the seat, one at the brake pedal and one on the blade engagement lever. All three need to be in working order to make the engine crank