cameronsmallengines
cameronsmallengines, Small Engine Tech
Experience:  15 years experience in outdoor power equipment repair
26074928

poulan 2150 chainsaw...replacing gas lines...which line does

Customer Question

poulan 2150 chainsaw...replacing gas lines...which line does gas filter go on and how do i get it up in the hole

seems like the fuel filter can only go on the large line coming in from the bulb

it fits into a plastic insert....but having trouble getting the small line from the carb down far enough into the other hole in the tank, have far down should it be

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  cameronsmallengines replied 3 years ago.
You've got two sizes of fuel lines on your saw...a smaller one .080"/.140" and the larger 3/32"-3/16". The smaller fuel line is the one your fuel filter will mount on and it will run through the hole on the left as the picture below has been taken and then run over to the right side of the carburetor to the fuel inlet nipple. Does your carburetor have only one brass fuel nipple on the right hand side of the carburetor as shown in the pic below? Some have two, and if thats the case please let me know.
Thanks,
Kyle
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i dont see a pic with your reply. the carb has 2 inlets. one small copper straight, which i was told comes from the carb side on the bulb. the second one, is kind of an elbow which line goes directly into the tank.
I apologize, I got the message composed and forgot to add the pic.
The fuel nipple on the carburetor that is closest to the top of the carburetor is the one that the small fuel line with the fuel filter will need to go to. The nipple below that one on the carburetor DOES go back to the primer...it will go to the "IN" side or negative pressure side of the primer.

The two nipples on the primer are marked, IN and OUT.

One nipple on the primer produces positive, or PUSH pressure"OUT", the other produces negative, or PULL pressure"IN". The fuel line on the bottom nipple on the carburetor will need to go to the negative, or PULL pressure side of the primer. The remaining fuel line goes from the positive, or PUSH side on the primer to the hole in the fuel tank on the right hand side of the saw...this is your return line.

Something to keep in mind is that this system pulls fuel through the carburetor rather than pushing it through.

There will be two ways to tell if you have the fuel lines hooked up wrong...the first is when you push the primer, the primer bulb will stick in the in position rather than popping back out...the second is when you push the primer, the primer will kick back out like its supposed to, but you'll find its gushing fuel out the throat of the carburetor.
If when you're all done, you don't get either of these symptoms, then you know you are in good shape. Please reply here should you have any further questions, or need any help.
Thanks,
Kyle

graphic
When you apply your fuel lines to the fuel tank, you can easily pull them through by cutting a LONG taper in the fuel lines. Taper the fuel lines 3-4 inches with a knife, razor blade, or side cutters, and then feed it in through the top of the fuel tank. Once you have the whole taper fed through the hole in the top, you'll be able to see the fuel line though the fuel cap hole and grab it and pull it through with needle nose pliers. You'd never get it through trying to push it in, but its easy to pull it through.