Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators

I have a 13 HP Cummins gasoline generator (6500 watts peak,

Customer Question

I have a 13 HP Cummins gasoline generator (6500 watts peak, 5000 watts continuous duty). I purchased this approximately 5-years ago and it has only 128 hours of run-time on it. What appears to be a combination main jet and bolt holds the float bowl onto the carburetor body. That "bolt" had a fatigue failure, probably due to vibration, and the bowl fell loose. I tried to contact the Customer Service center in Minden, NE to discuss how to repair this,or just get the replacement part. The contact number on the "Assembly and Instruction Manual" (XXX-XXX-XXXX) is no longer in service. The manual indicates that it is "Item 6210, Vendor B, Series 1). I do not currently have the part number, or serial number of the generator itself, but can get that if that should be required. The manual I described has both exploded views and a complete parts list for this generator. Do you know who I can contact, or where I can get that replacement part (or the whole carburetor, if necessary), to repair this unit and get it back in service. It is in excellent condition and would be a shame to scrap out. Best Regards,
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am going to assist you with this.

I can help you with this, but I will need the model number of the genset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Hank,

The "genset" is at a neighbor's house. I will do my best to get all the information on that unit as soon as possible today - that may be this afternoon as I live out in the country and the "neighbor" is some distance away.

I assume that I use this same message fromy you and the reply link to provide you with that information. If that is incorrect, I'll need to know how to contact you.

Best Regards,

Chuck

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Not a problem.

I work one job from 8AM until noon, and my other job from 3PM to 11PM.

But I am on here in between, and after my night job - I will get your reply then.

Yes, you just continue to post to this message.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hank,

The neighbor that has the generator was not in today. I checked both mid-morning and late afternoon/early evening. I will continue to try to get the exact information regarding "genset" model and send that as soon as I get to the unit.

However, this may help. In the "Assembly & Instruction Manual," it specifically refers to the engine as a "Model Number 6210." That may or may not be what you need, so I will keep following this up until I can actually examine the specification plate actually attached to the generator/engine itself.

As I indicated, the manual I have is specific to this 13 HP, 6500/5000 generator. I bought it new 5-years ago. I also can copy any of the exploded views, including the carburetor float bowl and FAX that to you if that would be of any help.

Hopefully, I will have all the information available off of the actual generator itself sometime tomorrow and will foward that to you through this link as soon as I get it.

Best Regards,

Chuck Schmitz

Yellville, AR

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

I feel kind of stupid here.

When you said it was a Cummins, I automatically assumed it was a Cummins/Onan - not a Cummins Tool Corp.

I actually have the manual for this set.

This is going to be very difficult.

This set uses a 188F engine, which is a very low quality Chinese clone of a Honda GX.

I don't think you are going to be able to find a bowl bolt by itself - you are most likely going to need to replace the entire carb.

Does your carb have the electric fuel shut off solenoid on the bottom?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Hank,

Yes, it does have the electrical fuel shut off solenoid on the bottom - that much I remember for certain because my neighbor at first claimed it was a "fuel pump" (which of course it doesn't' need because of the gravity feed of the fuel when the fuel line is turned on).

Obviously, I would prefer not to have to buy the whole carburetor assembly to replace just the float bowl and its associated parts. However, whatever it takes to get this unit running is probably worth it. The unit only has 128 continuous hours on it and that was its one and only use during an ice storm here a couple of years ago. Prior to that and since it has been kept clean and covered with a protective tarp. So, whatever it takes, within reason, to get this unit running is probably worth it. And, of course, a used, complete working carburetor assembly would be acceptable if that is available.

I appreciate your patience in dealing with this problem and am hoping to have the answers to your previously asked questions later today, even though it appears that you have identified the engine and part(s) in question.

BTW, I replaced that generator I gave to my neighbor with a new Generac Guardian, air cooled 20KW model. I see that you have experience with those too and if I should ever have a problem with it, I'll contact you on that also. So please make sure I have your contact information when we complete this current repair project.

More later today on the Cummins Tool Corp specifications. If you already have enough information from what I've already given you, please provide me with the best avenue to fix that unit and where I can get the parts.

Best Of Regards,

Chuck

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

The problem with carb parts is that they may just not be available.

Since this carb has a fuel shut off solenoid, it means it is a fairly newer set - and is EPA - compliant.

In your owner manual, on page 4, where is says 'Meets CARB standards' - this means it is EPA compliant.

An EPA carburetor is not supposed to be taken apart, so there are no parts available by law - the carb is simply supposed to be replaced if anything happens to it.

You can thank those left wing liberals out in California for that. (CARB is California Air Resources Board).

Here is a link to the carb you need:

http://elescooterparts.com/parts/gas/carb/P23/23MM.html

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hank,

I just received confirmation of my payment to you in the amount of $28. That confirmation, if correct, is WRONG! I specifically that you receive a 50% gratuity ($14 additional, for a total of $42) for all the additional effort you went to in finding me the part - which I have already ordered.

I have no idea why the additional gratuity $ was not shown on my payment confirmation. And, I have no idea of how to contact "Just Answer" to determine exactly what you will be paid or how to change it if it is not in the correct amount. Anything you can do to help me with making that contact if they only pay you the $28, instead of the $42 I requested, would be greatly appreciated and I'll correct any error as soon as possible. If that proves to be too difficult to accomplish, I will be more than happy to send you a check for that additional $14.00, but I'd need your address to do that. Please let me know how to handle this apparent snafu on the part of the website software.

You did an outstanding job and I want you to know how much I appreciate your efforts and certainly hope that we can do business in the future.

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

I sure appreciate that!

I am not sure why the Bonus does not show up in your accept confirmation, but they do not. I just asked a question the other day in a different category, and the Bonus I left did not show up in my confirmation mail, either.

But I assure you that both your Accept and Bonus went through - I got my percentage of both, and they are both listed in my view of your question.

Sorry, but we are not allowed to exchange personal information, such as email, phone numbers or addresses.

If you believe you still have an issue with your payments, you can send an email to support@justanswer.com , or go to this link:

www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your note Hank. Yes, I do know we can't exchange direct contact info now that I've talked to "Just Answers." They, of course, confirmed that you did get the full payment I authorized.

BTW, the carburetor order I place this morning has aleady shipped. It's great to find that some folks still really care about service - specifically you and the supplier you recommended.

Best Regards.

Chuck

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the kind words!

Maybe you will remember us here at Just Answer in the future.

We have over 150 different categories to be able to help you with just about anything!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hank, Just wanted you to know that the carburetor you pointed me to was EXACTLY the right one. It bolted right in and the engine fired on the 2nd crank. It runs like new, so obviously you know what you are doing!

Right now I have no more questions, but when and if I do in this category, I certainly hope I can get it directed to you.

Best Of Regards,

Chuck Schmitz

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 years ago.

Sweet!

Like Mr. T used to say -"I love it when a plan comes together."

Any time you wish to request a specific expert for anything, the best way is to put it right in your question - "This question is for XXXXXX"

It has been a pleasure working with you, and if you ever need help in the future, I would be honored to work with you again.