Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

Snapper Rider mower, rear engine, 8 hp,

Customer Question

I have a Snapper Rider mower, rear engine, 8 hp, model number on ID plate is 3081WS, & s/n: 81071979. I have contacted Snapper twice via their e-mail "contact us" but I have heard nothing, and I sent the initial info request Wed.,May 25. (I am somewhat irate that there is no phone number on their website AT ALL.) All I want to know is the width of cut--Due to blade damage, I cannot be sure of what I have. It would seem that I am asking for a wiring schematic for the space shuttle! I had seen on their website that the last digit of the model number (in this case, a "1", indicates the series number. Then I suspected that the 3081 model number could indicate: "30" for width of cut, "8" for the engine hp, and "1" for the series number. I have no idea of where the "WS" fits in. Searching "3081" got me to their mower page, but "3081WS" flopped out as not in their system. Would be nice to know the year model too, by using the serial number given.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Yes your mower is a 30 inch single blade deck

If you can get me the make of the engine and the serial number off the engine I can five you a window of when your mower was produced assuming that it is the original engine

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Engine is a Tecumseh, 8 hp I think, and here's the numbers:

TUM 195 A50220E DOM 5339D

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
From the looks of this mower (just acquired as included with some new rental property) I think the engine may have been replaced....it just doesn't look as "tattered" as the rest of the machine, and it doesn't smoke at all. And is there a layout of how the belt goes on this machine? I have a parts manual that shows the "exploded view", but someone has done some re-engineering I think with the belt layout.........
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

It is an 8 Hp engine

TVM = TECUMSEH VERTICAL MEDIUM FRAME

195 = 19.5 ci or 8 HP

Serial number

5 - last number of the year the engine was manufactured

339 - day it was produced (Dec 5th)

D - line or shift it was produced from

Unfortunately Tecumseh does not provide which decade their engine was produced in.

The exploded view is all that I would have, you may want to check through the operators manual on the snapper site for belt replacement options. It may have some info and illustrations that can help you

Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience: Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I ask another question?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Having trouble removing the blade holder (Snapper #3-7751) from the spindle, #2-1742. It seems to be just seized on. Can you verify that it just needs to be coaxed off?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
There is no need to remove the blade holder, just remove the bolts that hold the blade to it. It has been a few years since I have worked on these, but I believe the blade holder is screwed onto the spindle in a reverse thread
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, THAT explains why it will not come off with my trusty hammer.! ! ........It needs to come off so I can remove the mower deck---Deck needs some welding for stress cracks. The view from the parts listing of the spindle assy. doesn't indicate any threads, other than the 5/8-18 jam nut. But, a jam nut DOES usually mean something else has threads.......................

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

That blade holder is a pain in the neck to remove. Keep at it, it will come off eventually.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It's been soaking in liquid Wrench since yesterday, when I stopped working on this heap to go buy more Band-Aids..... So it has LH threads?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
Yes I believe it is a left handed thread
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK. I'll be signing off----Got a little work to do....You've been a teriffic help! Here's my usual sign-off:

Sgt. Darryl Bentley, Investigator

Criminal Investigations Division

Lincoln County Sheriff's Office

P.O. Box 970

Lincolnton, GA

Ph XXX-XXX-XXXX X-311

Fax XXX-XXX-XXXX

Cell XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
Any time sir, have a great Memorial day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You too.............According to your credentials, you have a military background....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey................Just for your info & for S & G, the blade holder IS threaded onto the spindle, but it is a standard RH thread, slightly larger than the 5/8-18 jam nut threads just below it. The drawing on-line by Snapper does NOT show two separate threads. Thanks for all of your help!
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the feedback, I'll add that into the mental rolodex