Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

I have a Toro 20016 Recycler front-wheel drive mower and am

I have a Toro 20016 Recycler front-wheel drive mower and am in process of replacing the transmission/axles. Can't figure out how to remove the pulley on top of the gear box (can't get purchase anywhere to loosing the nut that holds the pulley down on the gear box. Any suggestions??

I will be glad to help you.

If I am not mistaken the pulley coms as part of the New transmission

JACUSTOMER-f7ikz4d6- :

OK. I can't figure out how to loosen the nut that holds the drive pulley down on the threaded post that comes up from the gear box. No way to get purchase

JACUSTOMER-f7ikz4d6- :

NO the new transmission came with only the gear box/axle. Do I need to get a new pulley and nut

Usually if we ever take the pulley off, we have to use an IMPACT gun to do it. There is no way to hold the shaft.

Here is a parts breakown of the unit.

It DOES show the pulley separately in case the pulley ever breaks, but usually we NEVER take the pulley off.

JACUSTOMER-f7ikz4d6- :

Well in order to get the old gear box/axle off (after I've taken the side plates off) the pulley doesn't fit through the hole. With the pulley on the bolts that hold the plate aren't accessible.

OK, I don't remember having that problem. Then I guess that you wil have to use an impact wrench or you might beven be able to hold the pulley with your hand with a glove. If the shaft turns inside the pulley, then the impact wrench may be the only solution.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

you should be able to get a Repair manual for this unit.

Here is the easiest way to get all available manuals available for your Toro Unit.

Simply Input your model number and your exact serial number

The model number cannot be the Hood number, but must be the actual unit model number such as 38589. Serial numbers normally look likeNNN-NN-NNNN

It says type none of your unit does not have a serial number.

You cannot type none if your unit has a serial number and you just do not have it. If you do not have it, wait until you do.

A list of manuals will come up for you to choose from.

If the manual is downloadable, there will be a link for it on the left.

If it is only available for purchase, then that link is normally on the right.

Let me know if you need more help finding your Toro Manual

JACUSTOMER-f7ikz4d6- :

I already hit "accept" and a new page came up asking if I wanted to add a tip and I checked 20% and hit continue. Please make sure charge is done only once. Thanks

Thanks for the payment and the ACCEPT. You will only be charged the one time. If for some reason you get charged more, just let us know and we will take care of it for you.

Just in case you do not know, they always ask you if you want to send a tip or a "Bonus" as we like to call it. The expert actually gets to keep more of the tip and that is actually what he is working for.