Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Craftsman Lawn Tractor will not move. I was out cutting

Customer Question

My Craftsman Lawn Tractor will not move. I was out cutting my grass and then used the tractor to spread fertlizer, with no warning as I finished it would not move when I put it in gear and removed my foot from the brake. It is a Craftsman Lawn Tractor 20.0 hp, 42" mower W/electric start and 6 Speed Transaxle Model No.NNN-NN-NNNN
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! More likely the drive belt is broken or off the drive pulleys.

curtis b :

Full Size Image

curtis b :

Check the pulley under the seat and see if the belt is on and tight.

Customer:

Are you talking about the transaxle and engine pulley? It is loose.

curtis b :

Yes, so the pulley has come off?

Customer:

In order to replace this belt do I need to remove the mower from the tractor?

curtis b :

http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0305061.pdf Here is the owners manual with the steps involved. And yes, the first thing to do is drop the deck.

Customer:

Thanks!

curtis b :

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I replaced the belt on the transaxle and engine pulley but it still won't move. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Is the pulley on top of the transaxle actually turning the transaxle input shaft? Is the belt turning this pulley?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, nothing is moving. The belt is not tight but I take it is not suppose be tight, it is on all of the pulleys as it is suppose to be. I also notice that the spring, brake rod is not fixed at the transaxle, is it suppose to be fixed move freely on the parking brake rod?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
When the brake/clutch is in the released position(up), he belt should be tight. I should loosen when the pedal is depressed. The big long spring is the spring that should keep the idler against the belt and keep it tight. In the parts picture it is #55.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When the brake/clutch is in the released position it is not tight. I don't remember seeing the #55. The spring I referred to was #25. I'll have to check for #55.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
One end hooks on the idler bracket for the clutch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I looked but was unable to locate the #55 spring. Is it located near where the picture in the manual toward the front or is it near the rear? Where is the idler bracket for the clutch? I am looking at the diagram in the manual, what #'s should the end of 55 be connected?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still waiting?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
55 hooks to 48, the idler bracket, and it hooks back o the frame in a hole. You will have to find that one. They don't show the hole it hooks into.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks! We'll give it another shot.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, the sping should have a lot of tension, keeping the belt tight.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I found the spring and it was fine, I realized that the belt was routed the wrong way around one of the pulleys, I corrected that and it working now. Thanks for your continued help as I wonderd my way around the tractor.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Good job!