Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

Sears Craftsman garden tractor that wont start. Replaced

Sears Craftsman garden tractor that won't start. Replaced the battery and it turns over VERY slowly and won't start.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be helping you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

Does it turn over normally if youy remove the spark plug? What Kohler model and spec is this?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It sat over winter and would not turn over when tried to start..... a new battery was istalled yesterday. this only made the engine turn over , but very slowly.....not fast enough to start.
IT seems to me the starter is not getting enough power or the starter motor is not able to turn the engine fast enough to start the engine.
I have cleaned all the connections from the battery and to the solenoid.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.
Does it turn over normally if you remove the spark plug? What Kohler model and spec is this?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not tried removing the plugs.

I have not removed the sparkplugs as I have no reason to believe the motor is fowled.
Obviously the engine would spin easier or faster without spark plugs.
I guess I could do that?

The motor is a Kohler Pro V - twin .......Model No. CV 730, Type No. 0029 ( 25 hp ).

Is there anyway to check to see if the starter is OK?

The electrical meter on the dash completely maxes out to the discharge side when the key is turned to "START".
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

That's what we are doing by removing the plugs. This symptom is often due to excess compression building up in the engine due to either valves being out of adjustment or by a faulty compression release. If the engine turns over easily, then we know where to turn our attention. If it still does not, then we look at either weak starter or physical binding of the engine for reasons other than compression such as a belt not de-clutching or the beginnings of seizure.

I start with the plug question because about 80% of the time it's a valve adjustment issue. I ask for the model information because not all Kohlers have adjustable valves. Some have hydraulic lifters instead, even on the same engine family, but it varies by specification. Yours are not adjustable.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK,
I took out the spark plugs and found no difference in turning over the engine.......still grunts and barely turns over.

As far As I can see the blades are not engaged........they free wheel when I tried to turn them and do not turn when the starter is engaged.

OK ,your turn.
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Does the engine turn over freely if you turn it by hand, either from the flywheel side or from the drive pulley side? If it turns freely and you have replaced the battery already and are confident it is fully charged (verify this by jump starting from another vehicle), then

try jumping the solenoid terminals with a screwdriver to make sure you don't have a bad solenoid that's adding resistance.

Check your cables for any loosening, damage, or corrosion. Make especially sure the ground cable is getting a good clean connection. While you are jumping, you might jump from the positive battery post directly to the B+ terminal of the starter. This would eliminate all the cables and the solenoid and test the battery and starter together. However, the ground cable still needs to be verified first.

If you still don't get the engine to turn over through these methods you know you have a bad starter so long as the engine is turning freely by hand.

Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience: Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK,
Like I said....... I checked all the connections to be tight and clean...............I used a screw driver and jumped the battery cable terminal to the B+ on the starter and the starter motor spun fast.
I also used a jumper wire from the hot side of the battery to the starter terminal and the starter motor spun good and fast that way also.

I used a 12V car battery to try jump starting and that only made the starter spin a litle bit faster.

Sooo, Looks like solenoid is not working properly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
YuuHuu,
Still there?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ARE YOU GOING TO RESPOND TO MT LAST REPLYABOUT THR SOLENIOD?
Expert:  James W replied 5 years ago.

I am Sorry, Rick had to log off last night a few minutes before you replied.

The answer is, if you can jump the solenoid and it spins up just fine, and it will not spin up with the key switch, then you have narrowed it down to the solenoid building up a resistance that prevents full current from passing through it,

I agree with Rick that the Solenoid is likely the problem.

Please when you ACCEPT, click on Ricks ACCEPT button on His answer and not mine.

Thanks,

Rick is always happy to answer follow ups even after you hit Accept.