Chris
Chris, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  20 years of servicing small engines of all kinds
5111025

I have a Yamaha 1100 jet ski, old but it has been a very reliable

I have a Yamaha 1100 jet ski, old but it has been a very reliable "toy". This year it seems that
engine is locked up - the battery is full charge and the starter seems to engage but the engine
won't turn over.

Thoughts?

j.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Chris :

Hello how are you

Chris :

You will need to determine weather the engine is locked up OR the pump is siezed.

Chris :

My bet is the pump. Unbolt the engine and the rubber exhaust hose and slide the engine forward. Try to turn the pump from the coupling, if it spins the problem is the engine and vise versa.

Chris :

My advice is to find an aftemarket pump assy, rather than replacing individual parts.

Chris :

You could also look into the pump from the back and see if there is any gap between the impeller and the housing. The housing is aluminum and the sleeve is stainless steel, what happens is corrosion builds up between the housing and the sleeve and squeezes the impeller

Chris :

If you have any further questions let me know. Please remember to click on the accept button at the end of this chat, it is the only way i am compensated for my time...Thanks

Customer:

Thanks - hopefully it isn't the engine - possibly back to you after following through as you suggested.