RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN
19031375

Craftsman GT5000 w/Kohler Pro 25 V Twin, # XXXXX the underside

Craftsman GT5000 w/Kohler Pro 25 V Twin, # XXXXX the underside of hood is 196310. I was mowing last night and heard a click, then it shut down. Depressed brake and it started again. As soon as I released the brake it quit. Was able to put it in the garage by driving with brake slightly depressed. Any ideas?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  RUSS replied 5 years ago.

RUSS :

Hi, this is Russ, I'll be helping you with your problem today. THANKS What happened is the wre harness/safety switch has been compromised and a wire broke, has its insulation worn off and is grounded or a switch physically broke. This requires a lot of detective work to see the cause or use a volt ohm meter to check indvidual wires for continuity. This will require following the harness from the key switch, to the solenoid, to transmission, to motion clutch to the blade switch. GOOD HUNTING and GOOD LUCK

Customer:

I heard something click in the mower. Makes me think it was a switch that has broken. Do you have any idea which switch it would have been? Sounded to me like it came from the left side of the mower, close to the brake. Does that make sense?

RUSS :

Not the foggiest idea....there are 3 or 4 all inh the same curcuit. This is the reason for the volt ohm meter to be used for checking. Sorry , but this would be a wild guess on my part.

Customer:

Are all the switches the same, so if I order one, are they interchangeable? Sorry, promise, this is my last ?.

RUSS :

I did not say they are all the same....I said they are in the same circuit,,,,They do serve the same function, that is providing a a safety device....I can not say if they are all the same...the complete model number shoiuld be located in the back of the unit under or near the seat....then you can go to www.searspartsdirect.com to look up the switch (IF ONE IS BAD) that you need. THANKS AND GOOD LUCK

Customer:

Thank you!