Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I have a Model 71191 13-38 HXL Toro Wheel Horse Lawn tractor.

I have a Model 71191 13-38 HXL Toro Wheel Horse Lawn tractor. It starts up fine, but when I let off of the brake the engine shuts off.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

The brake pedal switch only makes sure the brake is in while you are starting the engine. Once it is started the brake switch does not play a roll in the engine running. The safety switch that can shut the engine down when you release the brake is located under the seat. It is there to make sure that you are seated while the engine is running and driving

Check the seat switch and make sure all the wiring is plugged in. If you find everything in tact then you can try to bypass the switch for testing purposes only. First disconnect the switch and try the mower. If that does not yield any results then jump a small wire between the two connections and try again. If you find that the switch is bad then make sure you replace it so that you do not get injured by the mower

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the seat switch is the problem, then why does the engine start up when I'm seated and the brake is applied; it is when I let off of the brake pedal when the engine shuts down.
You do not need to be seated in order to start the tractor. As long as the blades are off and the brake is applied the engine will start. Release the brake or engage the engine and the tractor will die if the seat switch is bad