Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

how do you adjust the idle for a craftsman mower, model number

Customer Question

how do you adjust the idle for a craftsman mower, model numberNNN-NN-NNNN it has the honda engine. thanks in advance.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is Jon and I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

The idle can be set by turning the Phillips head screw on the top off the carburetor. It is labeled number 7 in the picture below. Turning it in will increase the idle speed, out will decrease it

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did not correct the problem. the mower runs for about a minute, sometimes two minutes, then it shuts down. i have checked the fuel line from the gas tank to the shut-off valve, from the shut-off valve to the carb. gas flows freely. i took the float body off and cleaned it as well. why does the mower keep shutting down??????
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

I did not realize you had a problem with the engine running. I would do a thorough cleaning on the carb. Pay special attention to the float valve and make sure it is opening and closing. Here is a good PDF that Honda put out on how to clean their carburetors

Carb Cleaning

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will get some carb cleaner tomorrow and clean the carb, will follow up with you late tomorrow. thanks,ken
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
No problem, I'll talk to you then