J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

Yardman earthbird rototiller 21430C I need to ask about a

I need to ask about a rototiller with a 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine. I need to see where the governor spring #261558 and the throttle return spring #260478 should be installed.  I have the B&S repair manuals, nothing.  The throttle and manual choke are ok, but the throttle keeps running away (rpms) with no control

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. Have you tried to adjust the governor? If not then I would do that first. See attached link and it will walk you through adjusting it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The throttle and governor linkage had been replaced. I have 2 springs left and have tried all that your previous answer had said to do. The springs are #260478 and throttle return spring#260694 and I have every repair manual in the world and nowhere does it give a visual on the install locations. Can you help? engine #130202-2153-01, model # XXXXX Yardman 18" rear tine tiller

See attached pictures.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi J.R.,

I have been investigating, and I have a 5hp horizontal shaft B&S engine and a rotary manual choke. There are at least 2 different configs for setting the governor control; all the linkage of the pull-out choke as per your diagrams, and then there is (according to blogs) just one spring ref#209, part#690376 that is between the speed control pivot and the governor lever. Could that be? Anyway, I'd be interested in your opinion. I have the parts list for B&S 130200-130299 it helps to confuse. I really need a repair detailed drawing for this and the rotating screen on the flywheel: there are two different hexhead (1/4") one shouldered and one not, but the way the screen is configured one side is not able to secure the screen-what are the correct parts/procedures?

If you ned me to accept your answer and pay for another I will, it is just a big farm and alot to do, so that is why I took so long to get back to you.

Not a problem. The picture I posted are from the repair manual. See attached link. Click on download and a timer will start counting down. Once that timer expires click on download again. That is the complete service manual for your engine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey J.R.-

the file was "invisable.gif" whatever that means, so I went to 4share and created an account, downloaded the file, then was told "the file did not tranfer because it was email", I am really sorry to have wasted all your time for just one view of the proper parts to control or limit the engine speed, the spring that was listed for the governor/throttle controls "aren't available" @ B&S, I DID learn a FANTASTIC amount of stuff about the flywheel, its' weights, the carb, etc. The machine runs really good for about 3 to 4 minutes, then the weights take over and it screams as I lunge to throttle off.

Anyway, I will just accept your answer, I know it is probably a pain having to check to see all the time if I fixed this or not. My dad loved this tiller and so did I, since his death my sister has just about destroyed any good piece of farm equipment by letting her friends use it for her, thus the maintenance was ignored, etc., I am so frustrated because I have rebuilt the riding lawnmower, the Ford 8N tractor, the push mower, the rainbird system...and his F-150 I pulled the old engine out and installed a rebuilt!!! Although I thought this would be a matter of logic and diagrams/parts would be easy to order, I never dreamed I would occupy anyone's time like I have yours. Thank you for trying to help me. I think what I need next is to cry-like any self respecting girl mechanic would do! ha ha

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear J.R.,

I haven't been to this site for awhile and just noticed that one of my questions was not "closed". I did resolve the spring thing, in fact fixed all the other mowers, etc. because I bought the B&S Main Repair Book. I really hope I paid you and thanked you for your expertise, Send me a nasty note if I dropped the ball, I will make it right! Thanks again.

You paid. Thank you