Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Mygenerac model #09557-4 NP30G IN MY WINNBAGO MH will start

Customer Question

Mygenerac model #09557-4 NP30G IN MY WINNBAGO MH will start and run as long as I HOLD the start switch. As soon as I release the start switch the generator stops. Is there a latching relay or what that keeps the ignition powered? If you have a wiring diagram or
schematic can you fax it to me or E-Mail it or tell me how I can get one? Thanks! XXXXX XXXXXdler. Fax # XXXXX [email protected]
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

Ranwell1 :

Pulling the clutch would be my best guess. Many of these units have to have these clutches removed in order to replace the belts. At least it is the easier way to do it.....if you don;t have too much trouble taking the clutch off.

Ranwell1 :

OOPS..I clicked on the worng question. Please disreguard my answer as it was not for your question.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What keeps the ignition powered is when the Engine Control Board and Circuit Control Board sense AC output from the stator. There is a latching relay, but it is part of one of the boards, and not separately replaceable.

I have uploaded the schematic and the wiring diagram for you.

1. When you click on the link below, a new web page called 4shared will open.

2. When 4shared opens, scroll about half way down the page until you see a BLUE ‘Download Now' button on the left side.

3. Click on the BLUE ‘Download Now' button. Do not click on any GREEN buttons.

4. Clicking on the BLUE button will start a 20 second timer.

5. When the timer expires, a BLUE link that says ‘Download Now' will appear directly above the timer.

6. Click on the blue ‘Download Now' link above the timer to start the download.

Click here to download the file.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You haven't answered my question why does the generator cut off when I release the start switch???
Expert:  Hank F. replied 5 years ago.

I did answer that.

Please scroll up and read my last post.

This part of it - "What keeps the ignition powered is when the Engine Control Board and Circuit Control Board sense AC output from the stator. There is a latching relay, but it is part of one of the boards, and not separately replaceable."

If the set is not producing electricity, it will disable the ignition and shut the set down to protect it.

Using the start switch bypasses this safety feature, to give the circuit time to energize.

Once the set is running, and you let off the start switch, the set will shut off.

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators