James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years

how do i adjust the belt on my toro self propeld 6.5 horse

how do i adjust the belt on my toro self propeld 6.5 horse reycle lawn morrow the belt is very very lose there can cause a hard start condition 22 inch (personal pace rear drive mulch side dischard
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

Either the belt has come off the pulley on the bottom of the mower and is wrapped around the crankshaft (or is broken there).

James W :

Or the spring has come off the transmission

James W :

the spring is what is reponsible for tilting the transmission (and the pulley on top of it) away from the engine adding tension

James W :

Or the belt is worn so thin that it falls too far into the groves of the V pulley.

James W :

There is a complete 88 manual on the drive systems which covers how to repair your units on the toro site as well as owners manual

James W :

The owners manual, I believe, will show how to change the belt.

James W :

If the instructions in the owners manual are not good enough

James W :

the drive systems manual will do that and much more

James W :

Here is the easiest way to get all available manuals available for your Toro Unit.

https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm

Simply Input your model number and your exact serial number

The model number cannot be the Hood number, but must be the actual unit model number such as 38589. Serial numbers normally look likeNNN-NN-NNNN

It says type none of your unit does not have a serial number.

You cannot type none if your unit has a serial number and you just do not have it. If you do not have it, wait until you do.

A list of manuals will come up for you to choose from.

If the manual is downloadable, there will be a link for it on the left.

If it is only available for purchase, then that link is normally on the right.

Let me know if you need more help finding your Toro Manual

Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  James W replied 3 years ago.
I have converted the question to Q&A Mode rather than chat. I will be available for additional follow-up questions. If my answers have not been acceptable, please let me know what more I can do. I will be notified via email of your responses even after you Hit ACCEPT
Experience: 7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years