Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.

I have a Craftsman lt 1000 Garden tractor-riding mower. I purchase

Customer Question

I have a Craftsman lt 1000 Garden tractor-riding mower. I purchase a new battery, mowed for about 10 min. Stopped the tractor to pick up a tree branch. went to restart the tractor and would not start . Battery was dead. tried charging battery. still didn,t work. took back battery to the store and exchanged for another new battery. The mower did the same thing ,ran for awhile then the battery went dead. something is drawing down the battery. Want could be the problem-altenator or something. Please help!
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.

Customer:

HI

Customer:

I will try to help you.

Customer:

This sounds like you have a shsort in the charging system of the mower.

Customer:

Sometimes this just plain happens, but mosst of the time ist is caused because a customer tries to JUMP-START the mower with his car.

Customer:

Using a car to jump the mower will usually cause the diodes in the charging sytem to blow and you may have to replace the voltage regulator (If your model has one) or at least the diodes. You will also most likely have to replace the charging coils (Stator) because it usually burns them out.

Customer:

These are located under the flywheel.

Customer:

When this damage happens, the shor will drain the battery very quickly.

Customer:

This may have happened before you go the mower or it may have happend if YOU were the one to jump the traclor.

Customer:

There is also a chance that there might be a wire that is shorting out things. usually somewhere in the wiring harness.

Customer:

Customer :

It has never been jump started by an auto.

Customer:

OK, well it doesn;t always have to be, sometimes they just go bad. In any case this is usually the problem that causes the battery to go bad. you will have to chech the charging syslem

Customer :

what are diodes?

Customer:

Also if the battery was purchased at a discount store, there is a very good chance that the battery was bad right off the shelf. This happens very frequently. You also must have a batteery that has at least 300 cranking amps. Most discount store batteries are not nearly good enoug. Just a thought.

Customer:

The diods are the things that change the AC current into DC current. The work like a voltage regulator

Customer:

Usually they are contained in the wiring that comes from the chargin coils.

Customer:

In this case it probably would be best for you to have a good shop check the charging system for you because you don;t want to start changing expensive parts if they are not bad.

Customer :

I took the battery back and got anothe new one so I don,t think it was the battery

Customer:

Usually the labor for doing this is about 1 hr or about $65.00 the parts should usually cost about $65 to $100 if they are needed.

Customer:

If it was a battery from the same batch it could be, but I really think it is more likely the charging system.

Customer :

Is there a repair manual that shows what these parts look like or how to get to them?

Customer:

It is just about the only thing that causes batteries to go down. If you have an hour metor or an ammeter, either one of them can develope a short as well, but this is fairly rare.

Customer:

Yes, but I would need the EXACT model number and type and serial number of the engine that you have to get you the right manual.

Customer:

How old is this tractor and is it a single cylinder engine and is is an overhead valve engine or an L-head engine.

Customer:

what brand of engine is it?

Customer:

Also does this unit have an electric clutch to turn on the blades.?

Customer :

It a LT 1000 Just one minute I'll try and get the serial number

Customer:

This doesn't help

Customer:

I need the brand and the model numbers off of the ENGINE NOT OFF OF THE TRACTOR.

Customer :

Ok, it is a briggs and stratton engine. model 310707, type-0137-E1 and Code-20228ze

Customer:

I will get the repair manual in a min

Customer:

Here is the complete service manual for the engine.

Briggs & stratton Single cylinder OHV service manual

http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/briggs_vertical_shaft_engines/276781SingleCylinderOHV.pdf

Customer:

By the way, the owners manual also has a parts list in it that is more readable that the link I sent you so you might want to look at it .

Customer:

This link to a book will help answer many questions about how to work on a the electrical system of engines.

Also very helpful when trying to change engines between brands and matching connectors.

http://www4.briggsandstratton.com/miscpdfs/RNT/alternator_replacement.pdf

Customer :

Ok, I thank you for all your help. will this information all show up in my e-mail?

Customer:

NO

Customer:

It will be only listed on this question.

Customer:

You should highlight all this information and past it into a WORD document so you can save it

Customer:

Or you can past it into an e-mail and send it to yourself.

Customer:

OK, this is about all I can do for you now.

Customer:

You can come back to this question anytime and reread the information and send me a message if you need to.

Customer :

What if i hit the save & exit icon below. will that save this inofrmation?

Customer:
Customer:

All hitting save and exit will do is tye things up.

Customer:

you can hit the accept button and then refresh your browser and it will be in a better form for you to use or coppy.

Customer:

Because it will end our chat, but it will convert it to a differetnt format.

Customer:

After you accept. I will send you a note that ywill have the link back to this question and yu can then return to it.

Customer:

If you happen to lose the information, just contact me by name and I can copy and past it again for you.

Customer:

You will be able to PRINT the whole page from this other format.

Customer:

are you still there?

Customer:

I have not changed the format because I was waiting for you to accept.

Customer:

Thaks

Customer :

I can't find the information you sent?

Customer :

Oh, I found it . Thanks very much.

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.

Here is our complete conversation.

This sounds like you have a short in the charging system of the mower.

Customer:

Sometimes this just plain happens, but most of the time it is caused because a customer tries to JUMP-START the mower with his car.

Customer:

Using a car to jump the mower will usually cause the diodes in the charging system to blow and you may have to replace the voltage regulator (If your model has one) or at least the diodes. You will also most likely have to replace the charging coils (Stator) because it usually burns them out.

Customer:

These are located under the flywheel.

Customer:

When this damage happens, the short will drain the battery very quickly.

Customer:

This may have happened before you go the mower or it may have happened if YOU were the one to jump the tractor.

Customer:

Customer:

Customer :

Customer:

OK, well it doesn't;t always have to be, sometimes they just go bad. In any case this is usually the problem that causes the battery to go bad. you will have to check the charging system

Customer :

what are diodes?

Customer:

Also if the battery was purchased at a discount store, there is a very good chance that the battery was bad right off the shelf. This happens very frequently. You also must have a battery that has at least 300 cranking amps. Most discount store batteries are not nearly good enough. Just a thought.

Customer:

The diodes are the things that change the AC current into DC current. The work like a voltage regulator

Customer:

Usually they are contained in the wiring that comes from the charging coils.

Customer:

Customer :

I took the battery back and got another new one so I don,t think it was the battery

Customer:

Customer:

Customer :

Customer:

It is just about the only thing that causes batteries to go down. If you have an hour meter or an ammeter, either one of them can develop a short as well, but this is fairly rare.

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

what brand of engine is it?

Customer:

Customer :

Customer:

This doesn't help

Customer:

Customer :

Ok, it is a Briggs and stratton engine. model 310707, type-0137-E1 and Code-20228ze

Customer:

Here is the parts breakdown. http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/part-model/BRIGGS-STRATTON-Parts/All-Products-Parts/Model-311707-0125-E1/1245/1503500

Customer:

I will get the repair manual in a min

Customer:

Here is the owners manual http://www.managemylife.com/mmh/lis_pdf/OWNM/L0904459.pdf

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer :

Customer:

NO

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer:

Customer :

What if i hit the save & exit icon below. will that save this information?

Customer: Customer:

All hitting save and exit will do is tie things up.

Customer:

you can hit the accept button and then refresh your browser and it will be in a better form for you to use or copy.

Customer:

Because it will end our chat, but it will convert it to a different format.

Customer:

After you accept. I will send you a note that will have the link back to this question and you can then return to it.

Customer:

Customer: