Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Charging system not working on Troy-Bilt riding mower. Battery

Charging system not working on Troy-Bilt riding mower. Battery is fully charged, but runs down while riding, then won't start. I pull pos. battter cable while running and the mower will stop. Cannot locate the alternator or similar device. Also any other electrical parts between battery and alternator that could go bad?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

There can actually be 2 things in between the battery and alternator.

There will be a fuse, which is the first thing you need to check, and there may be a voltage regulator, depending on which stator your engine uses.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not able to locate fuse, voltage regulator or alternator on this thing. I have user manual and engine manual. I thought of those things you mentioned but can't find them> Any Ideas?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

What is the brand an model number of the engine?

What is the actual model number of your mower?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, sorry.

Model of mower is Troy-Bilt 128473 13AP60TP766

KOHLER ENGING COURAGE SERIES SV720

I found the fuse finally and it was good when check with ohm meter

Expert:  Hank F. replied 3 years ago.

Your voltage regulator is mounted to the underside of the engine backing plate, on the oil filter side.

It is a small aluminum box, with a 3 wire harness plugged into it.

Disconnect this harness.

The 2 outside wires of the plug are the AC output from the stator, and the center wire is the DC output from the regulator.

Set your meter to ACV, and connect one lead to each of the outside wires.

Start the engine, and rev it up to at least 3/4 throttle.

It should read at least 28VAC.

If not, there is a good chance the stator is bad.

Shut the motor off.

If you get good voltage, plug the regulator back in.

Set your meter to VDC.

Connect the black lead to a good ground.

Connect the red lead to the center wire of the regulator.

You should read battery voltage of about 12.6VDC.

Now start the engine and rev it up again.

You should get output of about 13.8-14.7VDC.

If you have good AC input, but no DC output, the regulator is bad.

Hank F., Technician
Experience: Certified on Onan and Generac generators