Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

My Troy Bilt GTX 2446 riding mower wont start. Just clicks

Customer Question

My Troy Bilt GTX 2446 riding mower won't start. Just clicks when I turn the key. Battery is good. Starter turned well off mower. Replaced spark plugs with .030" gap. Points? Thx.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Are you getting voltage to the starter, but it is not turning the engine?

If so how was this tested? and does the engine turn manually?

You do not have points on this engine

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No volts to starter. Voltmeter fr terminal on starter to grd. With plugs out or in motor turns fine. Volts tested with key 'on'. Also, this has been intermittent, runs, then after stopping won't start again, except if I rock it back and forth. Now won't start at all.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jon, U there?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

You have me very confused.

Can I assume that the starter works sometimes? And when it works the engine starts?

If there were no volts to the starter then it would never turn.

To test the starter you need to have the key in the start position, in Run there is no voltage to the starter

If it is starting (tuning over) sometimes and not at others then you either have a loose connection somewhere or a bad spot on your starter, or a bad/dirty connection.

If I understand you correctly there is no voltage to the starter right now.

Please check the small lead on the starter solenoid with the key in the start position, you should be getting 12 volts. If not I would suspect the ignition switch or the fuse between the ignition switch and solenoid.

You should also check the seat safety switch and the wiring that is coming from it and leading back to the engine

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thx. I'll do it again. Btw solenoid new. Started repairs there. Seat safety disconnected many years ago.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
Thats good information to know. Keep me updated on what you find. I'll be on here later tonight
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Jon thx for ur help! Found it, I think. Lifted ignition contacts a bit and removed and replaced connections to the armatures. I'm getting my acre mowed!!!!
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
Outstanding! Glad to hear you are up and running!