Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  Over 10 years as a Deere Service Tech.
32685367

I have an Scott (made by Deere) 42 inch riding mower with 16

I have an Scott (made by Deere) 42 inch riding mower with 16 hp Koehler. I am having
to replace the belt and the manuel does not give me all the info. Does the belt need
to stay flat side out all the way around? On the pulley just behind the front most pulley, which side does of the belt does the turnable belt guide go? Is there an up-to-date
belt diagram available? I am doing this with out removing the mower assambley, hope that
just makes it harder just not impossible.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Kevin :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you with your question.

Kevin :

Is it the traction drive belt you are working on replacing or the mower deck belt?

Kevin :

If its the traction drive belt that your are looking to replace I would highly reccomend removing the mower deck prior to attempting replacement. The transmission drive belt isn't a real big job at all with the deck removed. I have attached the diagram of the traction drive belt should this be the belt in question.

MP19/MP19855________UN18NOV98.gif
Full Size Image

Kevin :

If it is the mower deck drive that that you are working on replacing then you should be able to manage that with the deck installed on the mower. While it is a little easier to replace with the deck removed it can be done with out a great deal of extra effort with out removing it. Unfortunatly Deere's diagram for the deck does not show the belt routing. I will attach the deck diagram simply for a referance.

PU01/PU01022________UN31JUL08.gif
Full Size Image

Kevin :

A simple tip to make sure the belt is on the correct side of the pully. If the pulley is flat then the back side of the belt rides against it. If the pulley is V shaped then the V side of the belt goes towards the pulley.

Kevin :

I believe I may have found the diagram for your deck.

MP28/MP28766________UN11OCT02.gif
Full Size Image

Kevin :

Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks, Kevin

Kevin :

If you need further assistance simply reply to this message and check back later for my reply. Thanks, Kevin

Customer:

Well that gives me the diagram and I thank you, XXXXX XXXXX an answer to my

Customer:

specific questions.

Kevin :

While I do know that the belt does stay flat all the way around I'm not entirely sure about the belt routing around the pulley you describe.

Kevin :

Let me opt out and see if one of my fellow experts has a better idea on that specific part of the question. Thanks

Customer:

so much of the heading covers the page,I can't see what you have written

Customer:

ok I get the "page down" (:

Customer:

the pully I am talking about is the one on the diagram with numbers 7-11

Customer:

on it--this of course is just one half of the pulley system. Also, the

Customer:

belt the dealers sold me is flat one one side and the others goes to a more

Customer:

vee shape, this in relation to what Kevin first reply was.

Customer:

In looking back over what I wrote I can see you might be confused.

Customer:

when I was talking about the belt guide. There is a approximately 1 inch wide metal guide that is hanging over the pully, sticking out about 1/2 inch

Customer:

and it is bolted on in such a way that it can frrely swing from side to side.

Customer:

I assume it is to keep the belt in the pulley, but I don't kn ow which

Customer:

side to place it or if it makes a difference?

Customer:

I never did hear back on this last question ?

Kevin :

I appologise, I opted out of the question to enable one of my fellow experts to jump in and help answer your question. At this point no one else has had anything to add. Could you do me a favor and clarifiy if your working on the traction drive belt or the mower deck drive belt? Thanks, Kevin

Customer:

Sorry, I am on the mower deck drive belt.

Customer:

II still have not heard back concerning which sie of the belt to place

Customer:

the moveable metal quide on themower decxk drivebelt that is\part

Customer:

of the pulley system on the diagram

Customer:

that is marked with parts 2-5 on the diagram.

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

I've switched the format to the simpler question and answer forum in order to make it easier to see when you reply. If you leave a response here I will see it when I log back in and respond.

Thanks,

Kevin

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Kevin:

I am sort of in and out as I am working too, but I still would like an answer to my

last question as to what side of the belt(or in-between?) the quide goes on,

that is held by nut #2 on top of pulley #3 in the John Deere diagram you sent me

of the belt dirive diagram.vis-a-vie order #(NNN) NNN-NNNN The guide can move from side to side easily.

Thanks

Brian

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brian,

I apologize for the delay as I was unable to get in here yesterday. The belt actually should go between the idler pulley and the guide. If I'm under standing correctly this is the idler mounted on the arm that swings in to tighten the belt and turn on the deck. The guide is there to keep the belt on the idler when the deck is disengaged.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I will check back in a little while.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Evidently the pulley I was asking about previously was #9 and the guide hangs down

from the top and seems to be the only guide that moves. Should this guide remain

free or should I tighten the nut? Should it be on the back side of the pulley assembly?

I tried it back and tight and the belt came off when I actuated the mower.

Thanking you for the help

Brian

Expert:  Kevin replied 3 years ago.

Hi Brian,

I appreciate your patients as I know this has taken allot longer then it probably should have.

I did a little bit more research for help full pictures and I found that Deere has a good description on their public website.

http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMM152793_H4/Output/Index.html?tM=HO

The link will take you to a operators manual for a LT160. The 42" deck that is on your mower was also used as the 42C on the LT160. If you scroll down the page to the Service section it has step by step directions as well as a diagram to replace the belt. Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, Technician
Experience: Over 10 years as a Deere Service Tech.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thaks Kevin for all the work. The manuel is indeed more descriptive even though mine is a much older mower.

I finally decided to pull the deck off and then I found the problem. The brace that

holds pulley #9 had torn loose from the mower deck, making the pulley slanted and thus the cable kept coming off. My next door neighbor is going to weld it back down.

FYI

Thanks

Brian