Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
18770454

I have a Cub Cadet LT 1018 with Hydrostatic drive. The PTO

Customer Question

I have a Cub Cadet LT 1018 with Hydrostatic drive. The PTO switch broke so I replaced it. Now the with the new switch the blades show engaged so it will not start. I can take the old switch and with the help of needle nose pliers engage the PTO but it only stay engaged for about 5 seconds.

Any idea will be helpful Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.

Customer:

There is a good chance that you have the wrong NEW ignition switch.

Customer:

Also you seed to have the battery "Load tested" If the battery is not FULLY charged and is very good with a cranking amp of at least 350 cranking amps, it will not keep the PTO engaged.

Customer:

These pto's use a tremenous amount of electricity andan old battery will not usually wor. Plus if you recently purchased a battery from a discount sotr , they are many times bad right off the shelf. Also they do not have the required 350 cranking amps.

Customer:

You also can have a bad connection ...you could even have a bad connection in more than one place.

Customer:

You also may have a bad safety switch. Start with the brake/clutch switch. Them check all the others as well.

Customer:

Then go to the seat switch.

Customer:

On the PTO switch, it may have the terminals switched and may be defective or may be the wrong one.

Customer :

I have check the safe switches they seem to be fuctioning. Yesterday I charged the battery I can check to see if it is holding the charge. What is the chance that the new PTO switch is bad

Customer :

PTO is the currect Match

Customer:

IT happens every now and then. But it is more likely that you have a battery that is bad or a safety switch. Even if the battery seems to take a charge, it may not have enogh cranking amps left to workl properly.

Customer:

Just in case you might think of this, I will give you some good advice.

Customer:

DO NOT EVER JUMP-START ANY MOWER WITH AN AUTOMOBILE!!!!!!!!!

Customer:

Jumpstarting the mower with a caar will usually burn out the charging system of the mower.

Customer:

are you still there?

Customer:

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Customer:

are you still there?

Customer :

I am back. I have check the battery. It was 100% charged yesterday at 5:00 now it is 75% from sitting over night. I will head to Tactor suply for a new battery. I will hit accept and give positive feed back.

Customer :

At this point if the battery does not fix the issue i should return the new switch and try a second one.

Customer :

If a new switch and battery does not fix you think it is the saftey switches?? anything after that.

Customer:

Yes. But DO NOT GO TO TRACTOR SUPPLY FOR THE BATTERY !!!!!!

Customer:

GET A GOOD BATTERY.

Customer:

Something like a DIHARD from sears or an Interstate battery (They are the BEST) And the MUST have at least 320 to 350 cranking amps.

Customer:
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.

Yes. But DO NOT GO TO TRACTOR SUPPLY FOR THE BATTERY !!!!!!</pCustomer:

GET A GOOD BATTERY.

:

:

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a "BONUS" if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Experience: I Own a Lawn Mower Sales and service business (37years). Have 2-cycle and 4-cycle certification.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Purchased new battery and check all switches they seem to be working. Blades will engage for about 15 30 seconds. then they stop. with the key in the on postision I can here the PTO clutch click when i push and pull the PTO switch.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 3 years ago.

IF they are not staying engaged with a new battery, then you either have a bad clutch or a clutch that needs to be adjusted. I do not know if your clutch can be adjusted or not since I am not looking at it, but if it has adjustments, there should be .010" clearance between the two parts of the clutch. These are usually adjusted by tightening the four screws that may be on the clutch with springs under the nets. If there are no adjusting nuts, the the clutch cannot be adjusted and will have to be replaced.

Before you replace the clutch, you should check all of the connections at the clutch and at the switch to make sure that there is no corrosion. IF they are all making very good connection, then I am afraid that you will have to replace the electric clutch.

good luck.