PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

I have a cub cadet lt1050 with a 25 hp kohler,it wont start,al

Customer Question

I have a cub cadet lt1050 with a 25 hp kohler,it won't start,al it does is hum. I've replaced the sparkplug,fuel filter and the battery.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, will the engine turn over at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no all it does is make a "humming" like noise, the lites come on and I even put in a more powerful (more cranking amps) battery.
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
If you pull the spark plugs out, will the engine turn over? The oil isn't overfull or smell like gas is it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no, when I turn the key all it does is make a sound kinda like a kids toy.
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Was it running poorly before? Can you turn the engine over by hand by turning the flywheel, with the spark plugs out?

There's a few things that it could be, I like to start with the simplest and cheapest and work from there.

First is to try turning the flywheel by hand with the plugs out. Next is to use a multi-meter and check voltages at the battery, at the solenoid on the battery side, at the solenoid on the starter side with the key in the Start position and at the solenoid on the key side with the key in the Start position. You want 12 volts at each of these. Then check for 12 volts at the starter with the key in the start position.

Also check for continuity between the negative post of the battery and the frame of the tractor. And for continuity between the starter housing, not where the cable attaches but the starter body itself, and the negative post of the battery.

If any of these aren't correct then we've probably found the issue. If they are all correct, and you can turn the engine over by hand with the plugs out, then the starter itself is likely at fault.

If you can't turn the engine over by hand, then we would look at the oil level, whether the engine is hydro-locked, gas or oil will come out of the cylinder when you pull the plug if this is the case, or if there's some obstruction. Obstructions could be a faulty clutch, a broken crankshaft or rod, a broken governor, that sort of thing.

If you can check these things and let me know what you find, we can go from there. Don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Thanks, PK.