PK.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
12056261

I have a Troy Bilt Tuff Cut 210 Lawn Mower - The Blade Speed

Customer Question

I have a Troy Bilt Tuff Cut 210 Lawn Mower - The Blade Speed has decreased over time. I have changed the Air Filter and Spark Plug and the blade is still running slow.
I have looked for a "screw adjustment" for the throttle speed, but I cannot see to locate it . Can you help me locate the adjustment?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Hi, can you give me the model and serial number off the mower's frame? Also, on the engine itself will be a model, type and code number, can you give me those? Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The Model Number is XXXXX

The Serial Number is XXXXX

It looks to be a Briggs and Stratto Engine and the number stamped on it is 123K02-0196-E1-02 ( I think)

Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Has the travel speed slowed down quite a bit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it has - It still cuts - but it is noticably slower
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Ok, these have emission's style carburetors and are not adjustable. Do you know if this has had regular annual services, especially valve adjustments? On the carburetor you should see the linkage from the governor to the throttle plate, it's a bent wire connector on the topside of the carb. Can you check that it fully opens the throttle plate? You'll want to check that the sheet metal piece towards the front of the carburetor is not bent as well. MTD doesn't show which assembly for the governor you have, so if you could provide a picture that may be of some help.
PK., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Retired Owner of a full service shop and national parts sales website.
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the accept. The question remains open to you for as long as you like and we can work back and forth as long as necessary. Thanks, PK.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks! Since there is no adjustment and the mower is more than a couple of years old - I think it is time I look into a replacement!
Expert:  PK. replied 5 years ago.
You should be able to get at least a good ten years out of the engine with some basic maintenance, so be sure to check for the bent brackets. On the L-head engines like this you could also try cleaning the cylinder head of carbon build-up, a common cause of gradual power loss. Good luck and Thanks for using Just Answer.
Expert:  Ranwell1 replied 5 years ago.

The governor speed CAN be adjusted simply by bending the speed control arm backwards and putting more tension on the spring. The top speed should be about 3200 RPM. Here is the link to the parts list and the item number of the adjustable arm is #222. http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=briggs_and_stratton&mn=123K02-0196-E1&dn=50540004A You Do NOT need to buy a new mower as you suggested, you just needs to have the governor speed adjusted. A good shop should be able to do this for a bout $10.00 It would also be a good idea to have the mower tuned up at the same time.

Here is a link to the Briggs & Stratton 4-cycle L-head repair manual

http://www.4shared.com/document/Q-XzUiif/270962_Single_Cylinder_L-Head_.html