Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

Cub Cadet hydrostat leaking oil

My Cub Cadet 1440 hydrostat is leaking hydro oil. It is running down the left side and dripping on the filter when tractor is moving (pump in use). I took the seat and gas tank off and power washed the trans and rearend (very dirty), with a mirror I can see a round cavity that resembles a frost plug (on left side), not sure what it really is, the oil is coming from there. Is this some sort of seal, I think there is a corresponding cavity on the right side? What sort of repair am I looking at?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be assisting you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

Are you referring to the expansion plug?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll have to get back to you tomorrow, I think that may be what it is but I will need to take another look. Like I said it is on the left side and behind the frame so it takes a mirror to see the round cavity. Already headed to bed so will check it out first thing in the am.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Rick, took awhile to get back. I did a little checking on and what I see is the "Poppet check valve." My CC Model #14A-633-100 will bring up the correct hydro. It looks like the CC HG-2510050 kit would be what I need??? What sort of job am I looking at replacing this?? I am just a shade tree mechanic, nothing specialized. Is this something I could do myself or should I take it to a pro?
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay as well. I was tied up yesterday and didn't have much opportunity to be online.

This is a really basic repair, so I don't think you'll have any problem with it, although it can be a bit messy to deal with the oil. The poppet valve just unscrews (normal RH thread) with a allen wrench (9/16" if I recall correctly). If you are leaking in this location, then most likely you have a damaged o-ring under the head of the valve. Cleanliness is the greatest concern. Make sure there's no foreign material around that can make its way into the cavity once you remove the valve. It will come straight out an the new one goes straight in. Make sure you check the oil level after the repair.

This manual may be helpful as well.