Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I am trying to replace the auger belt on a Murray snowblower...I

Customer Question

I am trying to replace the auger belt on a Murray snowblower...I purchased the model 67854x35(english) 627854x35(french) which is a"euro series" at HomeDepot in 2001. I removed the motor mount frame and the belt cover. I then loosened the belt guide and the idler pulley.
Then when I try to remove the belt ...there is very little room at the back end...is there something else that must be done to give more room to remove ?
thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

The easiest way to gain more room is to split the machine in half.

There are normally 4 or 6 bolts that hold the front half of the machine to the rear half, 2 or 3 per side depending on manufacturer.

Remove all of these bolts except for the bottom two. Loosen those up and the machine will hinge at the bolts allowing you access to the belt area.

This pictures shows a typical setup. The machine in the picture is a little different since all the bolts will have to be removed because the flange is 90 degrees off from normal snowblowers

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Jon,

thanks for the answer....I will try your suggestion tomorrow and get back to you...

thanks

Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
No problem, let me know if you need additional help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the direction you sent me...the belt is replaced. The only problem was that I was not as careful as I should have been and the twp pieces separated...but I connected them and then installed the auger belt.

thanks again....very satisfied

Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
That is great news, glad you got your machine back together, that can be a pain