Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

Hi -- I have a Snapper 250Z Zero-Turn mower that has 2 issues 1)

Hi -- I have a Snapper 250Z Zero-Turn mower that has 2 issues:

1) Once it is started, when you attempt to take the lever(s) out of "park", it automatically shuts off. I have successfully used the mower in the past so I am familiar with how to use the lever(s). I recently replaced the solenoid switch because it would not start and that fixed that problem, but since then I haven't been able to keep it from shutting off when taken out of "park". I've retraced the removal & replacement of the solenoid switch and it seems to be correct (actually drew a diagram of the connections before removing and followed the manual). When you take it out of "park", the left lever releases a white switch/button and this is when it shuts off. Any suggestion(s)/idea(s)?

2) I did purchase this mower used last June and the owner showed me that the muffler canister had seperated from its' pipe and was extremely loud when running. After disconnecting the muffler pipe from the closest bolt between the canister and body of the mower, I took it to a welder who carefully welded the canister back onto the pipe and I then reinstalled it successfully back with the bolt -- still loud when running. Any suggestion(s)/idea(s)?

Your time and assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Terri
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

1. most likely the seat safety switch has become disconnected or the connections are dirty. The mower is made to shut off if no one is seated on the tractor and it is put into gear or the blades are turned on. Right now I believe that the tractor thinks that you are not seated on it. Check this safety switch and it's wiring.

2. just because the muffler has been welded to the entrance pipe does not mean that the baffles inside the muffler are in tact. I would just replace the muffler with a new one.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For issue #1, I have to be seated on the mower even for it just to start, so even if I am sitting on the mower when I crank it could this still be the issue when trying to put it into gear?

Thanks!

Expert:  Jon K. replied 3 years ago.
The seat switch is usually overridden if the tractor is in neutral, the blades are off and the brake/clutch is depressed. Try setting the parking brake so the clutch is depressed on it's own and make sure you are in neutral and the blades are off and see if it will start, this will give us a better idea of what is going on but I believe that this switch is the culprit
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience: Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines