Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My Troy-Bilt Bronco tiller with B & S 5hp will only run on

My Troy-Bilt Bronco tiller with B & S 5hp will only run on full choke. I've taken the carb off, cleaned it up and same thing. I've tried the govenor spring in every hole. It surges when running at full choke and dies when the choke is moved only one notch open. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Problem is still the carburetor. Do you have the tank mounted carburetor or the carburetor with the float bowl? If the tank mount, you probably need the upper diaphragm. If the bowl unit, the main jet in the center, where the float bowl screw goes is most likely plugged and needs small wire ran through all the holes. Her is a carburetor disassembly for both types.

Customer:

I have the carb here in my hand. A twist tie wire goes thru the large hole easily and I can see it in the throat of the carb. The wire goes in easily into the small brass hole and bottoms out. Is the small hole supposed to go all the wat thru?

curtis b :

Did you look at the disassembly? The main jet has holes in the side, the jet needs to be unscrewed and the holes cleaned on the sides. Also, did you check the port to the needle valve?

Customer:

If you are referring to the holes in the nut that holds the bowl on those holes are clear and OK. I can spray carb cleaner in the needle valve hole and it comes out the gas intake line.

curtis b :

What are your engine numbers. I want to look at your carburetor.

Customer:

Family: YBSXS.2051 HF 274479

Customer:

Letter on the bowl nut is S. The one on my B&S 6.75 hp mower is U and on my 6 hp is D.

curtis b :

There is another set of numbers for the engine. Example(NNN) NNN-NNNNE. the other number is XXXXX crossable to the actual number. Did you find your carburetor in the disassembly sheets.??

Customer:

Had to use the old trick of smearing white paint over the numbers and then wiping it off.

Customer:

The numbers are: 000811FD then under that is(NNN) NNN-NNNN 0514 E

curtis b :

look at the(NNN) NNN-NNNN should only be 6 numbers, not seven.??

Customer:

My bad. 110412

curtis b :

110412-214-E1 I think. Uses 694857 carb. I don't see a main jet that screws out, appears to be part of the carb. body. All you can do is clean as best you can, be sure the needle valve and seat and the inlet port is open and free of any debris, and try again. It has to be fuel starvation, which has to be the carburetor.

Customer:

I figured it had to be fuel starvation so while I was waiting for your reply I took the bowl nut of my 6hp mower and drilled out the center hole with a 1/32 dremel bit, put the bowl back on with the drilled out nut. Now it cranks on full choke and runs on open choke. I tried it in the garden and the governor speeds it up under load and slows down with no load. Now maybe I can plant some tomatoes

Customer:

Thanks for your efforts.

curtis b :

Good job.