Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

I have a Craftsmen 6.0 hp 22 mulching mower with Techumsa

Customer Question

I have a Craftsmen 6.0 hp 22" mulching mower with Techumsa motor. The side discharge door will no longer stay closed. I have the pin that goes through the door and the spring, but I just can not figure out how to reinstall to put tension on the spring to keep the door closed. Without the door closed it obviously does not work. Any help on how to put tension on the spring? Am I missing a part?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,what is the model number?

Customer :

917377401 Could not easily find online a manual for this number.

Customer :

Just finished tuning up with new plug, oil change, new filter, and resharpened blade. Discharge door was tapped closed for last few mows in the fall, but tape does not last long, so want to permanently fix. Could devise my own screw/clamp to hold it closed as I never use a bag, but figured I could easily just fix the door. Driving me nuts that is appears so simple with only 3 parts (door, pin, and spring), but can not figure out how to put tension on the spring to hold it closed. Hope it is simple and I'm just missing something obvious.

Vince O. :

They can be a pain.I'm trying to find a good pic,there are no instructions

Customer :

Vince I am getting offline right now as I need to clean up and head out the door for a previous engagement. I'll check my e-mail later in the day or tomorrow to see if you have some advice and can work on fixing tomorrow. I await your advice.

Vince O. :

ok

Vince O. :

I have 2 pictures at this time,I'll keep trying to find instructions.

Full Size Image
Full Size Image

Customer :

Vince- The first picture helps. I can try the spring in either direction, but it appears the longer extension goes through the discharge door and the small extension goes under the "lip" on the mower outlet frame. The second picture is a bit confusing to me as I'm not sure how that bit of spring extension is sticking out. I'll have to go back and get the mower out after work tomorrow and see if I can duplicate the picture. I'm still not sure when installing the spring and pin how I will be able to pull tension on the spring when it is underneath the discharge door. I will get back to you after I take another look.

Vince O. :

Plus you have to add a 1/2 wind or twist to it so it snaps shut.They don't offer any repair info.

Customer :

Vince- Still having a hard time getting a wind on the spring. Given the picture I will give it one more try. If I can't get it, then I will just put a couple of screws in to close the door permanently and leave it be. I appeciate you getting the picture and providing advice. Like I thought, it was not an obviously simple solution.

Vince O. :

Hold door open and slide pin in and into spring.Have the tang on the left positioned as in bottom picture and then turn or twist spring to add tension so it snps shut and try to position right tab and slide pin through the other bracket hole.I know they are a real pain in the neck to assemble.