Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.
20444326

It is a hydrostatic transaxle with free wheel control. Craftsman

It is a hydrostatic transaxle with free wheel control. Craftsman model 917.271.661
It starts and run but won't free wheel.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be assisting you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

Does it move normally when the engine is running, but just will not freewheel when the engine is off and the lever is pulled back?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It never free wheels, running or not running

If the wheels are locked, check the brake at the side of the transaxle. Under the lever there are a couple of pins that push the brake pad against the round disk. These sometimes get corroded and lock in place. Use some WD-40 and they will usually free up. Let me know and we'll continue if this doesn't fix it.