RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN
19031375

I have a cub cadet model 2160 16 hp v-twin briggs engine. I

I have a cub cadet model 2160 16 hp v-twin briggs engine. I need to replace the starter. It just spins freely not engaging. I ordered the starter, only $28.00. Now in trying to remove the old one there is 2 bolts fastened to a bracket to the block. The bottom bolt easily accessable but the top one is impossible with any socket that I have. Theres got to be an easier way. Looks like tons of removal work to get at that top bolt. Can someone tell me how to get this starter off? Is there a special tool maybe?

RUSS :

Hi, this is Russ, I'll be helping you with your problem today. THANKS! XXXXX LOVE THE GUYS WHO DESIGN THESE THINGS! They never have to disassemble them....SORRY there is no easy way...the blower housing has to come off. I have not found an easy way

Customer:

Well I was afraid of that but the starter itself is in the way so guess a socket wrench wont do it once I remove all the surrounding housing and components. Is there any step by step format for this or just start tearing stuff off?

RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience: 28 YEAR SERVICE TECHNICIAN

Not t step in, but I have had some limited sucess using a tiny (too small) open ended wrench made for my son's Childs tool kit. It has to be bent just right, but can in some instances save the time removing the shroud. You will be able to tell if such a tiny open ended wrench will give you access by staring at the situation long enough.

Of, you can just yank the shroud.