J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have a mower with a Kohler XT-7 engine, and the starter cord

I have a mower with a Kohler XT-7 engine, and the starter cord broke. I have the starter assembly apart, but the spring is not going back together well, and if I'm not careful I could lose a finger or two. There is a tool, the EZ coil device, that seems to be functional but costs $50, and is there for the pro shop owner, not for a one-time (I hope) owner repair. Do you have a good way to get the spring back assembled?
Do you have the spring seated in the housing, but just cannot get it rewound.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I wish I could attach a jpg. The spring seems to get wound into the same spool that the rope runs in. The spring is confined into the (probably) nylon spool, and the rope runs around the outside.

I just looked at the service manual for that engine and it does not show anything as to rewinding the spring on that engine. A new complete starter only costs around $30.00 so unless you plan on doing several rewinds to springs then I would buy a new starter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not a bad idea. Does the local Ace hardware carry this, or do I go online? Do we have a part #?
The local Ace may be able to order it. Get me the full model and spec number off of the engine so I can get you the correct part number. On a side note, I know that engine says Kohler on it, but it is made in a Chinese factory. Most of the engine manufacturers are going overseas for cheap labor.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The engine is a Kohler Courage XT-7, and came on a Husqvarna XT7222FE. The label on the front lists SPEC:XT-173-0226.

Here is the one you need.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?pn=1416501-S