Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers

i have a McCULLOCH MAC 2818 28cc weed eater im trying to replace

Customer Question

i have a McCULLOCH MAC 2818 28cc weed eater im trying to replace the throttle cable. not having the best of luck. would love a pdf file that may help to get this thing back together.

thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello, I have a parts manual for now and will search or service manual or compose how to repair info. 2818

Vince O. :

Remove engine from shaft then remove the drip/trigger housing (4screws).Then 2 tiny screws in front of trigger housing that will give access to the switch and trigger so cable can be removed or installed.Next remove cable from carb,move throttle manually so you can hook or unhook cable end.Throttle shaft may have several holes for cable hook upso look first.Cable is routed through the grip housing in a groove under the white removable sleevePull cable out of grip housing and the out of the clutch housing.Install new cable through clutch housing and hole in rear so you can connect to carb.See pages 2 and 4.

Full Size Image

Customer:

vince

Customer:

i had no problem getting old cable out because it was broken

Customer:

i have the new one through the engion but i cant figure out hw to re install the new one to its conection points

Customer:

or should i had said through the clutch housing. the cable is route. but i need help with the final connections

Vince O. :

g

Full Size Image

Vince O. :

Full Size Image

Customer:

guess i dont have any buisness. ok i have it that far. but the end connection of the cable is where im hitting the wall

Customer:

ok . mine is a 28cc. hope the are close to being the same.

Vince O. :

Almost exact

Customer:

i will take a look. thanks.

Vince O. :

go to the throttle part and look it over,there are some differences but the cable hook up is pretty much the same.

Customer:

thanks vince i think im closer to getting it

Vince O. :

It's tricky.

Customer:

well. vince. thanks to you i got it all put back together. the throttle cable works great. i went to give her a crank and she almost started and went to give another crank but the cord didnt go back in.

Customer:

good thing im not charging some one bye the hour. currently my start cable is all the way out and it doesnt go back in on its own.

Vince O. :

Tap on the housing,it might jar it back in.If it does goe back in try using short,quick pulls.

Customer:

didnt work. how do i remove the drum clutch? i think my spring came unloaded or i should say my dum... unloaded it when i first was trying to get my throttle cable on.

Vince O. :

Remove the spark plug and fill the cylinder with rope (acts as a piston stop).Look inside the drum to see if the screw is a torx or a slotted screw and unscrew it.Then with a pair of channel loock pliers unscrew the clutch. See page 9 in service manual above.

Customer:

ok i give it a try.

Vince O. :

Good Luck!

Customer:

vince i did just as you said and it worked it free up the pully but i went to but everything back together and the spring blew up in my face. how in the world do i get that thing back together??????

Vince O. :

If the spring did not get all twisted and bent it can be rewound.Note orientation of the inner most part of spring.See page 9,figure3.28 in manual.Place the top of spring (the "hump") into the opening of the metal retainer and wrap the spring around and around while holding it in place with a finger until the whole spring is inside the cage

Customer:

its running. thanks to you vince. i really did appreciate all your help i couldnt have done it with out you. that service manual was the trick. i need to see things to fix them. thank you again. damon

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Wow! Thank You Very Much Damon.