Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I have troybuilt tiller, Tecumseh 4.0hp engine, model HS40.

I have troybuilt tiller, Tecumseh 4.0hp engine, model HS40. Would like to know the starting position for idle speed screw, idle mixture screw and screw in bottom of bowl. Thank you Randy
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

The screw at the bottom of the float bowl is your high speed jet. Set this to 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. The low speed mixture up top should be set one turn out from lightly seated. Your idle screw (the one you can see the flat end, that contacts speed arm) can be set about half way in. This one gets adjusted when the engine is running and should not affect the engine except at idle