J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.

I have a 27 HP Kohler Engine it is not getting gas to the carburetor.

I have a 27 HP Kohler Engine it is not getting gas to the carburetor. I checked all the lines installed a new fuel pump and still no gas to the caruretor. What is the problem?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

The problem may not be that you are not getting fuel to the carburetor. The fuel may be getting to the carburetor, but not going from the carburetor to the combustion chamber. I would like for you to try something for me. Get a clean container. Take the fuel line off where it connects to the carburetor. Crank the engine over and see if fuel squirts out of the hose and into the container. If it does then the fuel is getting to the carburetor. If you confirm that you have fuel there then the problem is likely one of two things. Most of the new carburetor have an anti backfire solenoid in them. It is an electrical device that screws into the bottom of the carburetor. It will have a wire coming off of it so you will know if you carb has one by looking for the wire. If it does have one then put your finger on it and turn the key to the ON position. You should be able to hear it click and feel it actuate. If you hear it then it is likely working. If you hear it clicking then the problem is likely that you have a plugged up jet in the carburetor or a sticking needle valve. Check those out and let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No fuel comes out of the hose.

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The fuel pump works off of vacuum. There will be a line that goes from the fuel pump to a fitting on the block. That is the pulse port. Crank it over and see if you feel a pulse on the line. If you have no pulse then you have internal engine problems.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I felt no pulse. What would be the internal engine problems be and what would be the next step?

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

If you feel no pulse then it likely a worn rings. The pulse is created by the psiton moving up and down in the cylinders creating a pressure and a vacuum. The pulse is a very light pulse and is hard to detect sometimes. See attached link. Enter cv740 in the box and then click find manuals. Scroll down and you will see the model listed. Look to the right and you will see service. Click on that and select English. You can download the service manual for the engine. It has the full test procedure. Let me know if you need anything else. If you cannot determine it from the tests then I would perform a compressino test on the cylinder and see what readings you get.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The test procedures are beyond my mechanical ability. I removed a spark plug and turned the engine over and could not feel any pulse. It seems that you are right about internal problems. What would be a ball park amount to have someone fix this? Also, what would a 7 year old Craftsman 27 hp 48" mower with this problem be worth?

Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The cost is hard to tell on the reapir until you know what all is bad. As for the value of it, I would look on ebay and craigslist to get an idea.