Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Experience:  Outdoor Power Equipment technical trainer since 1990, covering eight states.

I am trying to replace the engine on a Craftsman Chipper Shredder

I am trying to replace the engine on a Craftsman Chipper Shredder modelNNN-NN-NNNNand need to know how to get the Impeller Assembly off the drive shaft. I have removed the center bolt aond the shredder blade but the impeller plate is stuck hard to the haft. I do not see a keeper pin or set screw. Is it just a pressure fit? Is there a "special" tool I need to remove the impeller so I can remove and replace the engine? THank you for your assistance.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rick replied 5 years ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be assisting you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

It's a tapered fit to the crankshaft, no key. And there is a tool that will make the job much easier.

Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNNImpeller Removal Tool

I've linked the part number to a shopping search, or it can be ordered from any local MTD dealer. MTD is who made the machine for Sears.

Hope this helps!