Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines

Lawn Boy 6.5 hp 2 cycle lawn mower wont start

Customer Question

Lawn Boy 6.5 hp 2 cycle lawn mower won't start
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is Jon and I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Let's try a little test to see if we can narrow down your issue. Remove the spark plug and pour a teaspoon of mixed gas directly into the plug hole. Let me know what happens and we will continue.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same thing it doesn't even seem to try and start just turns over a few times
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
Ok then let's check for spark. Remove the spark plug again and plug it back into the wire. Hold the threaded portion of the spark plug against the engine block with a pair of insulated pliers and have someone pull the engine over. You should see a bright blue spark at the tip of the spark plug. Make sure you do not hold it bare handed or you will get a not so pleasant shock.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

can't see any spark

Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
OK then we have isolated your problem. Next you will need to remove the cover from your engine so that you can see the ignition coil. The spark plug wire will be attached to this coil. You will also see a small black or green wire attached to the coil with a spade connector. Go ahead and remove this wire and test it for spark again. If you still have no spark then the ignition coil has gone bad. If you have spark then we will look at the safety's on your mower, notably the control cable going from the handle down to the kill switch.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
okay I'll need to check it tomorrow need to do something else this evening thanks for the help. I'll let you know... Already checked the Kill switch it is open and working correctly thanks
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.
No problem, I am on most nights and will answer as soon as I can for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

changed ignition module still does not seem to be a spark. how fast do I need to turn the wheel ? can I do it with my hand fast enough to be able to see a spark? thanks

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry there is a spark now it was too light in the garage to see it .. However still won't start even when gas put into spark plug hole any suggestions?? thanks
Expert:  Jon K. replied 5 years ago.

No you can not spin the flywheel fast enough with your hand to get a spark, I believe the min RPM's are around 300 to get the coil to light off.

You need to do a compression test. If you have spark and fuel (even added manually) then this is the only other possibility. Let me know once you get a compression reading and we can continue