J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

My 6 year old bolens rider model #13AM762F765 wont start at

Customer Question

My 6 year old bolens rider model #13AM762F765 won't start at all. It won't even turn over and the wheels are locked even when in neutral. ?????
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Amswer,

Take the air filter off of it and put a little bit of gas into the intake and then try to start it. Try that and let me know what it does.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am reluctant to try this because when I turn the key I get absolutely nothing. Its not like it is trying to catch but doesn't. I get NOTHING!! Why are the wheels locked even when I shift to neutral? I should be able to roll my mower when in neutral.

Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.

Take the spark plug out of it and then try to crank it. See if the engine will even turn over. If it will still not do anything then we need to check the electrical system. I would start by checking the main fuse. It will be close to the solenoid. It will look like a normal blade style fuse. As for the unit not moving, the parking brake may be stuck or the belt may be jammed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Checked the fuse it is good. Removed spark plug and still nothing. Could the wheels be locked due to a safety feature and thus preventing startup? I can't help but think the two are related. I have never had a problem starting this mower and I just started it about three weeks ago after we experienced low temperatures. And it started up just fine.

Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.
We need to check the battery and make sure we have a fully charged battery. Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Did that yesterday. Battery was good.
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I purchsed one from lowes on yesterday just to check the battery. The battery was good so I took it back to get my monies refunded. I no longer have a voltmeter.
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.
We need a voltmeter to do some testing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is a voltmeter a battery charger? What I purchased was the recommended voltage battery charger that the manual suggested. I need to know what to purchase.
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.
A voltmeter is a tool used to check electrical circuits. They will be in the electrical section of lowes. Small tool with a black and red wire with it. Will have a dial on the front for different settings. They are also called a multimeter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks J.R. for your patience. My husband is deployed and I know absolutely nothing about this type of stuff. I can only rely on what others are telling me to try. I have been dealing with this for a week now and have wasted money buying different things and they were not needed. I am about ready to just get it to a repair shop or have an onsite repairman come. Thanks again!
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.
If you want to get the meter we will do some testing and try to figure it out. It may be a case where it will be cheaper for you to call someone to come and look at it. I wish I were local to you as I would come over and look at for nearly nothing.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are the meters costly?
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.
They cost around $10 and up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  J.R. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.