Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

Where can I get a carburetor linkage diagram for a John Deere

Customer Question

Where can I get a carburetor linkage diagram for a John Deere 724D snowblower with a Tecumseh engine?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.

Vince O. :

Hello,can you give me the JD numbers from the sticker on the frame?

Customer:

In about 2 minutes...

Customer:

M0724DX191506

Vince O. :

Is it an OHV (overhead valve) engine,model ohsk70-72507b

Customer:

Tecumseh,OHSK70 72507B (H)

Customer:

It won't start. When I move the throttle, it doesn't seem to do anything except slide back and forth on a spring. I can't tell if something is missing or has been displaced.

Vince O. :

Did you have it apart?

Customer:

no

Customer:

It was working fine. I had to repair the recoil (broken rope) and now it won't start.

Vince O. :

I will send you a link where you can download the complete service manual with diagrams and instructions for you to look over.There are several linkage setups.It explains how to clean the carb if needed and to adjust the governor.Lots of info. http://www.cpdonline.com/695244a.pdf

Vince O. :

Maybe a wire got knocked loose when taking apart? Did you check for spark?

Vince O. :

Did you remove just the starter or the complete housing?

Customer:

Yes. I just scanned the manual on the link and I think it looks like a spring may be out of place...

Customer:

I removed the housing, 4 bolts

Vince O. :

OK,double check your linkage and springs.If all looks good according to the manual make sure you have spark.Does it start at all?

Customer:

I'm going to run outside now with a print of diagram and see if I'm right.

Vince O. :

ok

Customer:

No, it doesn't even try to fire

Vince O. :

ok

Customer:

Unfortunately, it wasn't what I thought. Diagram #16 on page 26 of the Tecumseh manual is similar to what I have but does not give me enough detail. When I move the throttle control, the lever travels about an inch without any impact on the carb. When set at the highest setting it finally causes a very slight movement of the actual throttle on the carb

Vince O. :

Do two things,First check spark.Then adjust the governor.It's a mechanical gov and counterweights inside help push the lever and rods open

Customer:

Has spark. Throttle control seems do do almost nothing however, throttle still open enough to start. Governor adjustment has not changed recently (no witness marks to indicate movement). Is it normal for the throttle control lever to slide back and forth on the governor spring without moving anything? Or does it become more engaged in the carb operation once the engine is running?

Vince O. :

Once it starts running

Vince O. :

Spray some carb cleaner directly into carb to see if it fires up.If it starts and quits you may hae a carb problem.

Customer:

Didn't use carb cleaner but it suddenly decided to start. Lopes unless choke partially closed and won't run on low idle.

Customer:

Starts to shut down on anything but the highest throttle setting

Vince O. :

Ok,I would check the carb and give it a quick cleaning.Clamp the fuel line and remove the bottom nut.Thats the main nozzle.Poke a wire (bared bread twister) down the center and through the side holes.

Full Size Image

Customer:

Done. Bread twister and carb cleaner. Didn't solve loping with open choke but runs better. Hopefully, it will get me through the winter.

Customer:

Thanks for your help Vince!

Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
Expert:  Vince O. replied 3 years ago.
Try adjusting the gov now that it's running.