J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

I have an older Sears Craftsman riding mower GT 6000 Kohler

I have an older Sears Craftsman riding mower GT 6000 Kohler Magnum18hp. I am having a little problem shifting from low to high in the transfer case. I pulled off the shifting mechanism and it looks like it has some kind of gear oil in the bottom but I am not sure if it is enough or what it is. A mechanic gave me grease in a tube but that doesn't look like thats what is in it. Does it use some kind of gear oil and how much does it take. Model #917.255960 Serial#0715925 007902
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Take a look at the transmission itself. There should be a tag right in behind or near the brake disc on the transmission. I need to know the numbers off of that tag. I believe that unit has a peerless, but they used others as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
tag says Serial 097776 TYPE 122419X
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Use 30wt non detergent motor oil. There is a drain plug on the bottom of the transmission to drain it. There should be a fill plug on a elbow under the left fender to fill it. 5 qts.